Which category do you fall into -

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-25-2009 - 12:06pm
Non-smoker here.
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 12:20pm
Karen's mentioning that she grew up with parents who smoked got me thinking. I did, also. And I became a smoker. I grew up in the 50s. People smoked everywhere: restaurants, grocery stores, bars, work, as well as in their cars or at home. There was no such concept as non-smoking laws then. Smoking was a widespread social habit, no one thought there were really any health risks. Heck, in the 70s, I would sit in my doctor's office, going over yearly labwork, and we'd *both* be smoking! People smoked in doctors' waiting rooms. There were ashtrays everywhere.

Although Karen didn't grow up to smoke, I wonder if growing up in a "smoking household" can encourage smoking in the kids. At least the acceptability of it, and expectation that adults do it, so it's alright to do. It certainly was that way for me. And that it's something like a "rite of passage" to act like a grownup, be "sophisticated," like drinking and getting a driver's license, etc. Nowadays kids get the messages that smoking is bad, unhealthy, etc., through the media, at school, etc. Yet many start smoking anyway. So early "conditioning" can weaken that message somehow, I think.

Then it also occurred to me, that previous generations, and even today, there is ignorance and misconception about a healthy diet, getting exercise, etc. I grew up in a home where no one sought to exercise on a regular basis. Kids were active, playing outdoors, riding bicycles, roller skating, but when you grew up, there was no time for that. Getting/fitting in, exercise as a component of one's daily life wasn't a prevalent idea. Then in my teen years, "fast foods" came into being, and people weren't cooking as much at home, and getting this take-out was sought after. It was "fun" and became a fad, even. :P Saved time. Eat now instead of waiting and having to cook. It was cheaper than going to restaurants, so more people found it affordabe on a regular basis. Now our society is "waking up" to the dangers of the high fat even high sugar and sodium dangers of old ways of eating, cooking, using unhealthy white processed flour and eating foods made with it, white rice vs brown, etc. Not to mention the unhealthy fare that is fast food! :( And the health dangers inherent in a steady diet of fast foods. I see an effort at publicizing the health dangers about obesity and the connection to junk foods and fast foods, too much salt, high fat. It's happening, but perhaps not fast enough to save kids growing up now from the potential health risks in eating habits, attitudes toward food, etc., with which they may have been raised.

I guess, like smoking, as a society, and how we raise our children, will form their attitudes as to what is healthy eating and a healthy lifestyle. My parents were ignorant of all these ramifications to long term health, and so they did not teach me any of this, did not exercise, etc. So I have had to learn all this the "hard way" through damages to my health connected to eating lifestyle and the need to get daily exercise. It has been difficult to come to this awareness and understanding, and so DH & I were just as guilty in *not* educating our DD about this, but "treated" her to convenient fastfoods, used fastfoods for hurried dinners with both of us working, etc. We did make some efforts as our awareness grew, but not enough to eradicate the bad habits we taught DD by our not totally healthy lifestyles. Now she must struggle, also, to really become aware and make changes in *her* lifestyle, and to overcome the ignorance we taught her, just as we had been taught growing up, also. We just didn't really *know* and neither did our parents, so the unhealthy eating and lifestyle legacy keeps getting handed down. :( Hopefully, with more publicizing and more information getting out to people, she, as well as others, can better avoid the dangers of obesity, inactivity, and poor diet, as well as smoking, that can bring her serious health issues as she ages.

I hope future generations of children can grow up knowing this stuff, and not have to battle their early unhealthy mental conditioning, plus serious health issues later in life, and can stop passing on the same ignorance to *their* kids.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Edited 9/18/2009 12:47 pm ET by gypsywolfwoman

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-18-2009 - 8:19am

My parents smoked and I'm the only child out of 3 that has never smoked.

another gorgeous siggie by cl-annelee55

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-prsigshownew

Photobucket

Another beautiful siggie by cl-annelee55, Thanks so much Anne!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 9:06pm
Awww, good for you, Molly! I quit one time for 6 years and began again. Yep, pretty dumb!

Photobucket

Follow me to HEART HEALTH

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-16-2009 - 9:05pm

LOL! Same here! ;)

Photobucket

Follow me to HEART HEALTH

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 4:04pm
Ex-smoker...almost 8 years now!

Molly

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-15-2009 - 2:48pm

Non-smoker

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 4:56pm
I am a non smoker.

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 12:00pm

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-14-2009 - 10:42am

I'm a smoker. Right now, a once-a-week smoker unless I see my friend S more often. We have dinner once a week, and we smoke. A pack lasts about a month.

Pages