Good Heart Health help w/ Alzheimer

iVillage Member
Good Heart Health help w/ Alzheimer
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 10:38am
As heart disease patients, living a healthy lifestyle and receiving treatment for diabetes (or avoiding it later in life), avoiding obesity, as well as eating healthy to avoid high cholesterol, may also help us avoid another serious and deadly disease: Alzheimer's. The critical importance of a healthy lifestyle just keeps being demonstrated, doesn't it? WOW! :O As if we don't have enough to worry about... :(*

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2009/09/20/national/w210144D48.DTL&tsp=1

"Report: 35 million-plus worldwide have dementia

By LAURAN NEERGAARD, AP Medical Writer

Monday, September 21, 2009

(09-21) 03:27 PDT WASHINGTON (AP) --

More than 35 million people around the world are living with Alzheimer's disease or other types of dementia, says the most in-depth attempt yet to assess the brain-destroying illness — and it's an ominous forecast as the population grays.

The new count is about 10 percent higher than what scientists had predicted just a few years ago, because earlier research underestimated Alzheimer's growing impact in developing countries.

Barring a medical breakthrough, the World Alzheimer Report projects dementia will nearly double every 20 years. By 2050, it will affect a staggering 115.4 million people, the report concludes.

"We are facing an emergency," said Dr. Daisy Acosta, who heads Alzheimer's Disease International, which released the report Monday.

The U.S. and other developed countries long have been bracing for Alzheimer's to skyrocket. But the report aims to raise awareness of the threat in poorer countries, where finally people are living long enough to face what is mostly a disease of the 65-and-older population.

While age is the biggest driver of Alzheimer's, some of the same factors that trigger heart disease — obesity, high cholesterol, diabetes — seem to increase the risk of dementia, too. (my emphasis) Those are problems also on the rise in many developing countries."

(article continues...)

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-21-2009 - 10:03pm
Thanks for posting this, Gypsy! You're such a big help on this board and I'm lovin' it! I guess I had better start dropping the pounds, eh? My mother is not overweight, but she is in the beginning stages of Alzheimers. It's a difficult thing to have to watch happen.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 12:02pm
{{{HUGS!}}} I am sorry about your mom. :( Definitely *not* easy. We've been through it with DH's and my dad. It's a big fear of our own, that we will succumb also. Lots of fears in getting old... Doing everything we can to try to stay as healthy and functioning as long as possible. It's not easy.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-22-2009 - 5:05pm
Thanks for the hugs and the empathy. They mean a lot! Both of my ex-in-laws died from the complications of Alzheimers, too. When all the health issues begin to show in our families - especialy the older person - I don't know how we can help but think that one day it may be our turn. There's a history of heart disease and stroke, as well as cancer, on both my sides. Now there's this Alzheimers diagnosis and an elderly uncle of mine was recently diagnosed with Parkinson's. I don't dwell on the fact that I could very well be stricken by one (or more!) of these problems because it would drive me crazy, if I were. I have a tendency to live in the moment, so to speak. If it happens, it happens, but it hasn't, YET. Therefore, I take living and loving my life one day at a time.

Photobucket