Pulse too high?

iVillage Member
Pulse too high?
Sun, 09-27-2009 - 11:56pm

For about a week, I have noticed a constant vibration sensation in my head starting each day in the early afternoon (after 1:00). To help with that sentence, the only thing I can come with is the feeling of holding a tuning fork in your hands after it's been struck. That lasting vibrating feeling, even after the fork is no longer being held, is in my head for the rest of the day.
I have high cholesterol; I am 26 with parents both having high cholesterol and each of their fathers passed away due to massive heart attacks. It's in my genes. I started running again; my diet is somewhat healthy. I know I eat too much bad fat and carbs.
For the first time, tonight, as I am reading in bed I notice I can "hear" my pulse in my ears. I took my pulse for 1 minute and it was 95 beats. Is this high/too high? I have not done anything strenuous today. I've been taking some deep breaths to calm myself, but it hasn't helped.
I may be overreacting, but I am scared. I feel like I have a weight sitting directly on my heart; each inhale comes with a tight feeling in my chest. I know some of this is stress of college.

Should I go see a doctor at student health center?? The only thing I have changed recently is taking my medicine- 200 mg of Lamictal (for depression)- at night because I've been exhausted during the day.

I can't concentrate on my book because I'm "listening" to my pulse in my ears. Has anyone experienced this? I feel like I'm too young to be thinking and worrying over my heart, but I just found out this semester of my high cholesterol..or as the doc put it "to the moon and back".

Thank you,
Sarah

iVillage Member
Mon, 09-28-2009 - 10:25pm

Photobucket

I know you must be worried and I'm sorry about that. I've lived with heart disease for years and when something seems even a little bit out of the ordinary, I panic. Seeing that you have a family history of heart issues, it pays to stay on top of things as much as possible. Heart disease knows no age nor gender.

Stress can be the culprit of many health issues, but I think it best that you find out for sure if that's what is going on or if it's something else. Your anti-depressant shouldn't be making any difference with anything.

About 3 years ago +, I began hearing my heartbeat in my ears. I thought nothing of it until it got louder. Then I realized this was something that wasn't going to go away. I called my cardiologist for an appointment. To make a long story short, I had to have a cardioversion. That's stopping and starting the heart again to put it back in it's natural rhythm. As for the vibration, I'm stumped on that one.

So, don't waste any time. See a doctor asap and take care of yourself.Please let us know how it's going for you, okay? You'll be in my thoughts. Below is some information for you that may be helpful.

Normally the heart beats between 60-100 times per minute. In people who exercise routinely or take medications that slow the heart, the rate may drop below 55 beats per minute. If your heart rate is very fast (over 100 beats per minute), this is called tachycardia.

With Heart Hugs, Geri

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 7:42pm

Hearing your pulse in your ear can be a problem with your ear too.

iVillage Member
Tue, 09-29-2009 - 10:10pm

Photobucket

Hi, Kathy! It's nice to meet you! Your post is right on! It could very well be an ear problem that seattlegirl has. Thanks so much for replying!

With Heart Hugs, Geri

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-30-2009 - 10:05pm
My thoughts are the tuning fork's causing your pulse to overreact.
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-30-2009 - 10:33pm

I don't quite understand your post. I was just trying to help get what I meant by "hearing a vibrating sensation" across and figured a tuning fork would help..since you feel that kind of vibration. I didn't know if I made sense with hearing a vibration since vibration is a feeling.

I'm probably over analyzing the entire thing. I think my ears are getting infected which is probably why I'm hearing my pulse..I took some zyrtec..so I'll see if that clears things up.