Few Americans are at low risk

iVillage Member
Few Americans are at low risk
Sun, 10-11-2009 - 1:39pm

I came across this news story. Discouraging that we're worse off these days... <:// And kids are following in adult's footsteps, too.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32847215/ns/health-heart_health/

"Few Americans are at low risk for heart disease
Just 10 percent of U.S. adults had low risk scores, new study finds
Reuters

updated 4:13 p.m. PT, Mon., Sept . 14, 2009

WASHINGTON - Ninety percent of American adults have at least one risk factor for heart disease, researchers reported on Monday.

Virtually all Americans either have high blood pressure, high cholesterol, high blood sugar, are overweight, smoke or exercise too little, the team led by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reported.

"Unfortunately, the limited strides that were made toward this goal during the 1970s and 1980s were eroded by the increases in excess weight, diabetes and hypertension during more recent decades," the CDC's Dr. Earl Ford, who led the study, said in a statement.

Ford's team looked at four national studies covering tens of thousands of Americans aged 25 to 74.

Only 10 percent had low risk scores in all five categories, they reported in the journal Circulation.

"Until the early 90s, we were moving in a positive direction, but then it took a turn and we're headed in a negative direction," said Ford.

"When you look at the individual factors, tobacco use is still headed in the right direction and so are cholesterol levels, although that has leveled off. The problem is that blood pressure, BMI (body mass index, a measure of obesity) and diabetes are all headed in the wrong direction."

Heart disease is the No. 1 killer in the United States and many other countries."

YIKES! <:O

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Wed, 10-14-2009 - 11:16am
Yup, my mother's and her mother's, my dad's mother, etc., etc. All had ignorant ideas of a healthy diet in those days, that's for sure. But I wouldn't call this "genetic" but "environmental." Who's to say if our parents learned healthy eating from their parents, etc., that wouldn't have been what we grew up with. Instead of high fat diet and food preparation? And in my lifetime, the ignorance has grown, rather than diminished. Fast food and it's invasive availability and cheap cost all over the world is one horrible example of that. The move to quick prep foods sold in grocery stores. Unhealthy frozen foods/meals. Etc. It's all environmental, IMO. And although there is a huge effort at education that has been going on for some years, for the "masses" there is still a great deal of ignorance and perpetuating unhealthy cultural and "inherited" eating patterns and foods. Add that to any inherited tendencies at all, and it's no wonder that heart disease is so prevalent. And diabetes growing, too. :( Environmental triggers..."the loaded gun," so to speak.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket Photobucket

Dog fighting is cruelty, which is a human activity and a human illness.

It's not the dog's fault.

All dogs need to be evaluated as individuals."

--Tim Racer, one of BAD RAP's founders

http://www.badrap.org/rescue/

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Edited 10/14/2009 11:57 am ET by gypsywolfwoman

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-13-2009 - 11:24pm
Well actually, Gypsy, I don't find this surprising. It's true that there are risk factors for all of us. That's why heart disease doesn't discriminate between young and old. When my heart disease was first diagnosed, the doctor explained to me that it was due for the most part in genetics and my mother's cooking when I was growing up. Makes sense.

Photobucket