Getting flu shots?

iVillage Member
Getting flu shots?
Sun, 10-18-2009 - 12:53pm

Just got an email from my health provider, letting us know about the regular flu shot available, and information about getting the H1N1 vaccine when it arrives, also. Anybody going to get one or both?

I've never gotten the regular flu shot, even though my health provider has suggested it since I turned 50, which was quite a few years ago now. I don't normally get sick, and I've heard so much conflicting information about how sick the flu shot makes people, I just never wanted to get it.

Now there's the H1N! but my age group (I'm 62) isn't at major risk. It's seems like children and younger people are more at risk, but people my age seem to have more of a resistance, and don't get dangerously ill with it.

I am in a quandary this year, though, having had my heart surgery, whether that makes me more at risk, and should I seek one or both shots this year? I will be emailing my doctor to ask her advice. I'm not crazy about getting either shot. <:// This is what my provider says on their web site (from the CDC):

*Pregnant women because their risk of complications is higher and being vaccinated can potentially provide protection to infants who cannot be vaccinated.

*Household caregivers for children younger than six months old because younger infants are at higher risk of influenza-related complications and cannot be vaccinated.

*Health care and emergency medical services personnel.

*Children from 6 months through 18 years old because they're often in close contact with others in day care or school, which increases the chance that H1N1 flu could spread.

*Young adults ages 19 through 24 years old because the CDC has seen many cases of H1N1 flu in these healthy young adults and they often live, work, and study in close proximity.

*Adults ages 25 through 64 years old who have health conditions associated with higher risk of medical complication from influenza (for example, ongoing conditions such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease, and immune deficiencies).

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket

Blessed Be!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 10-18-2009 - 7:13pm
Hi, Gypsy! If I were you, I would certainly get the H1N1 shot for sure. Those with underlying health issues are at greater risk than others in our age group. I haven't decided, yet, if I'm going to get one or not. I had a pneumonia shot about 4 years ago and since that time, I haven't even had a head cold. My cardiologist suggested it and said it was good for 5 years. I had never even heard of a pneumonia shot until he told me about it. Every year I either got bronchitis or pneumonia, but not since the shot. I did get regular flu shots before, but not since.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 10-19-2009 - 1:50pm
Thanks for your response. :) I have never heard of the pneumonia shot before you mentioned it. I am generally not susceptible to flu bugs or even colds. Especially since I quit smoking and don't have all that congestion junk in my lungs and system any more. :P I just sent off an email to my doc, to ask if my "status" has changed, given my heart surgery. So, I will see what she has to say about it. ;) Will post back when I hear from her. :P

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Blessed Be!

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket

"Life is a state of mind." ~~from Being There.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 5:47pm

I'm confused to about whether or not to get the H1n1 shot. I've never had even the regular flu shot. My cousin last year got the flu shot and said she was so sick she thought she was going to die. I've heard the H1N1 can cause other serious problems too. My Cardio did not suggest any shots...( and I forgot to ask). But my Pulmonary Dr and my son's Pediatrician both said that they aren't pushing them. Not enough testing or something.

iVillage Member
Tue, 10-27-2009 - 6:26pm

***"Think I'll just take Vitamin D, lots of vitamin C and wash hands alot.....LOL"***

Same here! ;))

I did get an email reply from my MD. She recommended regular flu shot if I have chronic congestion issues, asthma, etc. I have none of that. So I'm not getting it. She recommended the H1N1 when available as I'm not yet 65, but she really wasn't insistent. I, too, am concerned about the inconclusive information about safety. And we have no children going to school (where germs run rampant and kids bring them home to family, so all end up sick), or that we are in contact with, so we don't believe we are at much risk. DH & I are skipping both shots. And if we go in for check ups or blood work, we stand far away from everyone in the waiting rooms, LOL! :P

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Photobucket

As Above, So Below.

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle

~Will Rogers

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sat, 10-31-2009 - 2:23pm
Sounds like a new name for not getting another flu shot.
iVillage Member
Sat, 10-31-2009 - 2:51pm
Flu shots, the regular ones, and the swine flu one when it arrives (or the nasal spray which is here now), are all offered FREE around here. So cost isn't a factor for me. I just don't think it's necessary and I worry about risks of getting really sick just from the shots. <:O And I have no chronic respiratory health issues, anyway.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Photobucket

Mika Dog

--Chief Seattle