New--please tell me I'm not nuts!

iVillage Member
New--please tell me I'm not nuts!
Mon, 11-09-2009 - 3:27pm

I'm 36 and in good health, but recently the occasional "flutter" or "flip-flop" I've had all my life has turned into something more. Last spring, the flutters became more frequent and I had an episode during my daughter's dance recital in which it started beating irregularly and lasted about 1 minute, then was fine. I went to see a cardiologist and had a stress test and echo. Stress test was normal and the echo showed a leaky mitral valve, but nothing else.

In October, I was awakened at around 3 a.m. by a very scary episode of my heart beating hard, slow and very irregular, crazy beats. I could feel it in my arms, chest and throat. It went on for several minutes and as I became terrified, started beating very fast. Then suddenly it stopped and went back to a normal rhythm, just kind of weak and hard to feel, but then again, it was middle of the night and I was scared. When it was beating irregularly, my husband could feel it pulsing just by putting his hand on my shoulder. I went back to the cardiologist the next day and she decided to have me wear a 30-day event monitor.

Then this past Friday while walking into work, I had another scary episode of my heart beating irregularly and it took about 20 minutes for it to stop. I sat down on the curb and called my friend who works nearby. She took me to the doctor but by the time I got there I felt fine, just a little strange feeling in my chest/throat like I had swallowed something without chewing it. My doc did an EKG and it was normal. She did say that the overnight readings from my monitor showed I had some PVC's but nothing that alarmed her.

Well, today I was told by a heart monitor technician at my cardiologist's office that they had obtained the readings from my monitor and that it showed nothing abnormal except maybe a couple of PAC's and that whatever I felt, it wasn't my heart. I haven't heard from my doctor yet, but this made me feel like I'm crazy. I know what I felt. Does anyone have any insight into this? I want to cry because I know I did not imagine it, and it was way more than a few flutters. I want to make sure everything's okay. I have two little girls and a husband and I need to stay healthy.

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 9:31pm

Wow, you had to wear the Holter for a month? (You might have mentioned that before, but I don't remember.) When I wore one, it was only for a week. I'm so glad to read of your taking better care of yourself! That's so important. (And I should take my own advice sometimes.) :) Thanks so much for the update and please do let us know anything new.

Heart Hugs~

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 01-06-2010 - 12:55pm

Thanks so much for the encouragement! I have continued to have the "flutter" feeling daily but nothing scary--just annoying. I still do not have the results from wearing the monitor for a month. I'm scheduled for follow-up later this month. I'm assuming that since no one has called there must not have been anything major on the monitor.

I have taken the advice here and during the holiday I cut back on caffeine, but got raging headaches. I'm back to work this week and back to my caffeine habit (diet soda) but trying to limit it to no more than 3 sodas a day.

I'm going to work on getting more exercise. I have been losing weight through cutting back calories but my legs feel like mush so I need to get back on the treadmill.

Hopefully this is all benign and no more scary episodes. I have to admit hearing about Brittany Murphy made me nervous, but I think she had other health problems that led to her sudden cardiac arrest.

Good luck, ladies! I'll keep you posted.

iVillage Member
Fri, 11-13-2009 - 7:19pm

Hello.

I have had very similar experiences.

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-10-2009 - 8:32pm

Photobucket

I'm glad you found us! And I'll tell you right now that you are NOT nuts! Something is surely going on, but it may not necessarily be heart related. Nevertheless, it certainly needs to be addressed by a professional to rule that possibility out.

Keep insisting that something be done. And do go to an urgent care or even ER if you continue to experience problems. Better to be safe than sorry. Only you know your own body and you know it well. Don't allow someone to tell you it's nothing to be concerned with.

Good luck to you and do let us know how you're getting on, okay? With heart hugs...

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 11-10-2009 - 12:45pm

Hi southernbelle.... I'm older than you (54) but have been having the same symptoms that you discribed for about 3 years now. You didn't say if you have had a Nuclear stress test or not. That is where they do like a ct scan of your heart, then put you on a treadmill for a while and put a dye in your veins...then you get a break but have to go back for another ct scan...all on the same day.

iVillage Member
Mon, 11-09-2009 - 10:39pm

Hello, just read your post.