Atrial Flutter Question

iVillage Member
Atrial Flutter Question
Sun, 12-13-2009 - 10:32pm

Hi. I've been a member of iVillage for several years as well as being the CL of the Workers' Comp & SSDI Support and Sress & Women boards.

My husband was recently diagnosed with an Atrial Flutter which the doc feels has been going on for a while. He's on meds but the cardiologist he just saw wants to start him on Coumadin. She gave a lot of the negatives and dangers of the drug but said it's the way she'd go. He's a little up in the air about it and not sure what to do.

I worked as a respiratory therapist for 30 years and a lot of my patients were on it with no problems but he's dwelling on the 1% risk of a fatal brain bleed. I'm trying to tell him the drug has been around for years with no problems and the docs have to tell you all the negatives now since people are more informed due to the internet and the fact that people are sue happy when something bad happens. He's still wavering.

Is anybody on Coumadin/Warfarin and if so was it a difficult decision for you to make.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 9:30pm

Photobucket

Hi, there! Yes, I know who you are. :)

I took Coumadin for a while way back when. I didn't have any problems with it whatsoever. My mother is taking Coumadin, as well as my SIL, with no problems. The 1% chance is nothing in comparison to your DH's life. Coumadin is well known, has been tested extensively, and many, many people are on it - all with excellent results. I'm hoping that your DH might reconsider and at least try the Coumadin. He'll have regular blood tests in order to keep any problems at a minimum.

Let us know what he decides and how things are progressing, okay?

With Heart Hugs~

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-15-2009 - 10:22pm

Thanks Geri........He did decide to take the coumadin and went to the coumadin clinic at the doc's office yesterday. He has a whole packet of Vitamin K rich foods to try to limit but was told not to change his diet they'll adjust the meds. He started taking it yesterday evening since they told him to take it in the evening as close to the same time every day as possible.

I think what I've been telling him finally sunk in. The 1% risk of a fatal bleed is very rare possibility but the risk of a PE, Stroke or MI is highly possible if he doesn't take it.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-16-2009 - 12:15am
Great news! And you're welcome... :)

Photobucket