Cardio visit

iVillage Member
Cardio visit
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 5:30pm

Hi everyone. I saw my Cardiologist today for a routine appointment. He's happy with everything and said the EKG looked good. My BP is staying around 123/80. I gained a pound though :(

iVillage Member
In reply to: rhons44
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 5:07pm

I "hear ya" re conflicts with others' eating habits & lifestyles in the same household. <:-| I just have DH to deal with. But he deals. He eats & prepares his own breakfasts & packs his own lunches, as he puts those meals together for himself. I am in charge of meal planning generally for dinner, and I cook *only* WW low fat healthy diet friendly meals. ;) He does fine with that. I ran fav recipes through WW to find lowfat methods/adaptations, and he is fine with the results. We both need low sodium diets and low fat, being both on lowering blood pressure meds. DH's cholesterol is good, so he still eats eggs (whole, not Egg Beaters like me), uses butter (not me), eats full fat regular cheese (not everyday), eats regular, not baked, chips, but eats small servings and has cut way back on cookies, etc. We both drink fat free milk only. It's all we keep in the house. We first cut from 2% to 1%. Then to fat free. He says he doesn't miss either the 2% or the 1%. I don't touch his chips, but get either WW multi grain pre-measured or get baked chips, but I weigh & measure my serving size. Etc. So the rest of your family can deal with their own breakfasts & lunches (if they're old enough?), and you stock and eat your own healthy breakfasts & lunches. And make a family agreement re dinner so you don't have to cook separate meals, KWIM? If you don't do the cooking & planning for dinner, sit down with whomever cooks, and have a chat about your health needs to do this so as not to have major health problems. Sometimes people just need to know your health (maybe even your *life*) is on the line. We also cut out fast foods entirely, plus most take-out like pizza, fish & chips, Chinese (too high sodium), burgers & fries, etc. We have burgers @ home. I eat veggie burgers like Gardenburgers or Boca Vegan. DH eats 93% fat free ground beef burgers. We don't make French fries. We have a big salad instead. Or soup or Vegetarian baked beans instead of the fries. :P

I was told that cholesterol drugs only work well *with* lifestyle changes. If you make no other changes but take a drug, you could potentially end up having to up dosages if you continue to eat a high fat diet. I don't know about these drugs and their side effects if doses have to be raised because of not changing eating patterns. Something to look into, perhaps? I've found with some blood pressure drugs, for example, that low dosages I can handle, but higher doses of the same drug cause other major problems and raise the likelihood of even the rare side effects harming me. So, I figure more benign lifestyle changes can help me avoid raising dosages that may reduce my quality of life with nasty side effects. Just a thought... Drugs aren't the "magic bullets" that fix everything like drug companies want us to believe... They can come with a high potential price w/ side effects. <:O

Good luck in getting your family's cooperation. Loving you as I'm sure they do, they need to understand that by cooperating and helping you eat healthy and exercise, they will have you with them many years longer, and healthier, than if they make it hard for you to live in a healthy way. That's really the "bottom line." Perhaps that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. ;)

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 12-20-2009 - 8:19pm

Thanks Gypsy and Geri. I know I need to make alot of changes. I guess I've been bad to think that the Crestor would take care of it without help from me....LOL. If I lived on my own it might be easier, but with 3 other people in the house it's difficult althoug a more healthy diet and exercise won't hurt them either.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement

Rhonda in CA

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 7:28pm
Woooo, Hoooo! That's great news, Rhonda! As for keeping the bad cholesterol down, I have to go along with Gypsy. And aren't you taking meds for that? Thanks so much for the Christmas wish!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 12-18-2009 - 6:19pm

Best wishes to you, also! ;))

I am so glad your visit with your doc went well! YAY! :)) As for cholesterol, I got my bad cholestrol down with Weight Watchers. And I mean down to below the level my doctor wanted. Exercise helps as well as weight loss. Post heart surgery (too many years eating a high fat diet), I am also taking a low dose of a statin drug. It takes continued vigilance as to the foods I eat, though. Every day. It's a lifestyle change and it took me nearly a year to lose my excess weight and get healthy with what I eat. It's worth it! :) I also take a fish oil supplement which helps raise my good cholesterol (along with exercise). :P

Just make gradual changes to start. Reorganize your pantry. Get rid of unhealthy foods in your house. Make sure you have healthy fresh fruit/veggies, etc. One day at a time, one major change a week. Until you have some good eating habits established. Takes time and you don't want to overwhelm yourself to get started. ;) Egg Beaters, not whole eggs, low fat/non fat cheeses. Super lean meats. Skinless chicken. Fat free milk, yogurt, cottage cheese. Stop eating butter/margerine; use low fat products. Low fat ice cream, baked chips, low cookies or get those 100 calorie serving paks. Exercise at least 30 min a day (according to WW). All that will help lower your cholesterol as well as help you lose weight and be healthier. ;)

More info than you probably want, huh? LOL! :P I'll stop now and hope some of what helpd me, helps you, too. :))

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

"What is life? It is the flash of a firefly in the night.

It is the breath of a buffalo in the wintertime.

It is the little shadow which runs across the grass

and loses itself in the sunset.

- Crowfoot, Blackfoot warrior and orator

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,