Christmas QOTW

iVillage Member
Christmas QOTW
Sun, 12-20-2009 - 3:57pm
If you had no money to spend on Christmas presents, could you still have a wonderful holiday or would it be ruined?

Photobucket

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 12-21-2009 - 10:47pm
I'm kind of in that boat this year.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 3:11am
It's a Bittersweet Holiday for me personally.
My beloved Mom passed away at Christmas nineteen years ago and my dd will be 23 and ds just turned 20.
Recently LOST another step-mom about a month and a half ago...honestly not sure but it has hit my dad hard. It will mean a move for him.
Money and gifts are not as important to me.
My kids are now older so the gotta get the "PERFECT" gift is not high on my priority list.
I think the most important thing is to have someone special to spend it with whether it's family or friends or even strangers (at a Community Christmas Dinner).
I was just thinking the other day what would it be like to be ALONE.
It's ALWAYS been for the most part just me and my kids and sometimes we have had company or went somewhere but most of the time I liked them to be home on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning...my ex took them sometimes on Christmas or Boxing Day.
I just loved having them home (as a kid we seem to always travel and were on the road :()...sometimes I worked long hours and I was so happy to finally get home Christmas Eve.
So much to do but we had fun getting supper and baths and snacks and two off to bed so I could finish wrapping etc. and just relax because I knew they would be up REAL early in the Am...;)...I remember the whispers and the giggling and wondering what magic "Santa" had accomplished and did he like the treat they left...:)...Judging by the crumbs and the almost empty glass...he he he...;)...he must have...<3
We usually spent New Year's Eve together to...
Money has been tight with losing my job last December so gifts aren't high on our priority list at least nothing expensive...I love the $ store!...;)...lol
The most precious gift is a gift from the heart.
One year my son was with me and we were getting a few things from our local corner store and they were always very kind to my children and me.
Out from under the counter they pulled out a large beautifully wrapped box for us.
I burst into tears it was so unexpected.
I had given them a baby-shower gift for their grand-child and they were so touched by that kindness they returned it in kind.
My son was so proud caring that large pkg. home and my daughter was so curious and excited when we got home.
I will never forget that.
They were always giving my children little treats like chips or a can of pop or a milk either white or chocolate and they always had a little bag made up for them of things.
Very nice people and we loved going in there and shopping.
They were friendly and made us feel welcome.
I remember once to when my kids were small and we got a knock on our door and two police officers dropped off two parcels and said they were helping out Santa...he was kinda "busy". :) ;)
It doesn't take much for me to shed tears and I was really thankful for their help...My kids were grinning from ear to ear.
Sometimes it's the small things...like the year they gave out mugs and socks at a dinner we go to...how cool!!!
One year I got my son this really cool electronic thingy...lol...it was new but I bought it in a Salvation Army Thrift Store and he loved it...still remembers it and it was about five bucks...not a lot but a lot to me at that time.
I think if the gift is from the heart it's special whether it cost five hundred or five dollars...my daughter and I one year made necklaces and we had such fun doing it.
If you can't afford a gift make one or give the gift of your time.
My kids one year made me a booklet and in it I had coupons for a bunch of different things that they would do for me like wash the dishes or brush my hair or take out the garbage or recycling or clean the cat litter box or this coupon good for one cup of tea etc.
Little things that meant a lot.
Volunteer...walk a dog for someone or clean off their step (snow)...little things that will be much appreciated...visit them and bring a tin of cookies or a little box of tea...rice crispy squares or candied apples, home-made apple sauce.
Offer to give a music lesson, etc.
It will be the most "Wonderful" Christmas!!!
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 5:32pm

Christmas is about a lot of things and - imo - money isn't one of them.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 5:37pm

Ohhh, Lorie, your post touched me way down deep! Your memories of past holidays were so wonderful to read and I'm sincerely glad you shared them with us. Thanks so much for reminding us what Christmas truly means! (Btw, I shop at the dollar store, too.) :)

"Christmas Eve was a night of song that wrapped itself about you like a shawl. But it warmed more than your body. It warmed your heart...filled it, too, with melody that would last forever." ~ Bess Streeter Aldrich American author

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 12-22-2009 - 9:44pm
ITA!!!!

winter siggy

Photobucket

Community Leader
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 5:38am
~hugs~
Thanks!
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 12:33pm
The 1st Christmas we were married, we had no money. DH was still in school, I was working full time but that money all went to living expenses and college. We still had a happy holiday. My mom sent us stockings, so I put them out on xmas eve, and it was a surprise for DH. That's the only time in my life I didn't peek! LOL

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 2:17pm

If you had no money to spend on Christmas presents, could you still have a wonderful holiday or would it be ruined?

I don't believe in spending money on Christmas presents anyway and haven't sine the boys were little.

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 8:09pm

Aww, LM, what a precious story! Just goes to prove we don't need money in order to be happy.

"It comes every year and will go on forever. And along with Christmas belong the keepsakes and the customs. Those humble, everyday things a mother clings to, and ponders, like Mary in the secret spaces of her heart." ~ Marjorie Holmes, American writer

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 12-23-2009 - 8:12pm

Good for you! The holidays shouldn't be all about money.

Photobucket

Pages