My New Cardiologist

iVillage Member
My New Cardiologist
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 9:43am

I went to the new cardiologist yesterday, they squeezed me in. What a difference from the other one! They took a very comprehensive history, and talked to me. I am back to being a partner in my health, instead of just a sick person.

That said, I am not doing so great. The echo and now several EKGs show bigemeny. They have added an agressive dosing of Lasix to get the fluid down. I am waiting for results of a BNP blood test. Shortness of breathe is nearly constant and my chest hurts at times. But I am here and doing something about it.

I finally have a doc that directly told me my diagnosis: Non-ischemic Cardiomyopathy and Congestive Heart Failure.

Karen

Community Leader
Thu, 12-31-2009 - 11:38pm
~hugs~
Karen,
My heart goes out to you...you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Just know you aren't ALONE.
<3
Happy New Year's 2010
Wishing you ALL the best!
~New Beginnings~
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Sun, 01-03-2010 - 8:41pm

Photobucket

Oh, Karen, I'm so glad to know that you have finally found the cardio who cares more about you than about himself. My first cardio only cared about making money, but my second one truly cared about my well-being. (I still have him.) On a sadder note, I am so sorry that you were given that diagnosis. I, too, have congestive heart failure. When I've been asked if I thought I'd die at a tender age, I tell them no. I don't think about it because I don't know that.

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 12:51pm

~hugs~
I loved this!
How sweet...for me that would be a cup of tea...:)
Geri this board has helped me so much...I don't always post but I try to read the posts and find so much support here it's Simply Amazing!
Here you know you can vent and share without feeling like you are a burden...and you know others understand.
Thank-you so very much!
nightangel67 aka Lorie
<3

Edited 1/4/2010 12:52 pm ET by nightangel67

Edited 1/4/2010 12:53 pm ET by nightangel67
Nightangel
Community Leader
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 12:54pm
Sorry about the edits...can't quite get my fingers in sync.
lol...;)...:)
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 6:30pm

I am very thankful for the support!

I had a question. What do you all know about BNP tests?

I ask because I finally got the results (18.3), on the third try. (The first two were handled incorrectly.) I have been on the new meds for 5 days. From what I've read this means I don't have Heart Failure. But other information says BNP can be misleading if you have been in treatment. I've been on medication since June. If I don't have heart failure, what do all these symptoms mean?

Hugs,

Karen

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 8:06pm
I just can't find words to tell you how much I appreciate you! You are so supportive of others here on the this board and it's easy to see that your kindness comes straight from your heart. (No pun intended there.) Thank you!

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 8:12pm

I have no personal experience of the BNP, but I've read about it. To sum it all up (at this time), you may not have a problem with your heart. I'm including a coupe of websites that have information of BNP. These sites are reliable and they may help you find some answers. At least I certaintly hope so. Keep in touch! We'll be thinking of you and wishing you all the best!

http://americanheart.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=591

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/brain-natriuretic-peptide-bnp-test

Photobucket

Community Leader
Mon, 01-04-2010 - 8:39pm
Aw shucks Geri now you got me blushing...;)...thank-you that really means a lot to me.
Heart health no pun intended means so much to me personally.
Women are not aware...I know I wasn't and even though we lost our beloved mom to a heart attack I would not want this for my kids...my family, and friends or myself.
I want to be around for the "long haul".
So I am trying to educate myself and advocate for women's health.
My family doctor I feel did not take me seriously...he does now but I realized I have to look out for my own health and ask questions...my heart guy is awesome...all the people at the hospital were great and I owe them my life literally.
What a wake-up call I got.
Enough about that sometimes it still bothers me and I got overwhelmed and teary-eyed...never been so scared in my life but I am glad I didn't ignore it and went to the hospital...no thanks to my ex-fiancé who I had to call back and ask if he was taking me...the hospital requested that he leave...and that's when I knew if I needed to go there ever again I would not be calling him.
Feeling a lot better compared to back then a little over a year ago but I faithfully take my medication, trying to reduce stress, and eating a healthier diet, and just getting rest and exercise but not over-doing it.
My heart and lungs are being impacted by the RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis)...
I recently found out that Psoriasis can also play a part in our Heart Health...
Just dealing with what I have been given and trying to make the best of it...yeah I am still here!!!
Every day is a blessing and I try to find Joy in everything I do...it may take me longer or I might have to figure out new ways to do it but I am proud of myself and my kids...(they are my Angels)...
My darling sister and I are both finding that we are dealing with heart issues because of our mom and her side of the family.
Neither of us smokes but we did grow up and our mom smoked...both of us have Asthma and both of my kids do...my ex-husband smoked...he has heart issues now himself...My sister and I are realizing how important it is to take care of our health...
One of the things that RA can affect is your appetite and for some it can cause you to actually lose weight...Some of the medication I take requires you to take it with food and so now I am eating...and eating healthier.
We need support to do this from our family and friends.
This morning ds made sure I had my Multi-Grain Cheerios...and he is always saying don't be skipping meals and he now checks for the Heart-Smart logo...;)
Nightangel
Nightangel