2/15/10 QOTW

iVillage Member
2/15/10 QOTW
Sun, 02-14-2010 - 11:20pm

Do you ever not take meds because you don't like the side effects?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Thu, 02-18-2010 - 9:49am
Yes.... my doctor suggested I take Niacin, which I did for quite some time (the flush-free variety).

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 11:58pm

Do you ever not take meds because you don't like the side effects?

Community Leader
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 10:45pm
It is "Our" Body!...<3
yes I have noticed that to but they should be supportive of their patient's wishes.
My doctor knows I don't want to be on a lot of pain medication because I feel I will become dependent on it and it won't be as affective when I might really need it.
Just tapered off Prednisone...I really hate that...it helps but how you feel after is hard to deal with.
I felt really good but it is not something to be on long-term.
The one thing I like about my heart guy is that he doesn't push things on you...explains, and really LISTENS...my family doctor is beginning to.
I can have the feeling of empowerment because I am taking care of my health.
Now I speak up when I am in pain or tired...that's just the way it is for me.
My ex-fiancé I found didn't really care if I didn't eat or eat properly and another friend now gets it that I do have to take some of my medications with food and/or milk so I need to know whether or not we are stopping and how long I am going to be gone so I can plan around it.
My ds lives at home and he loves to cook...last night he made supper for himself because quite honestly I was not up to it,
An ex of mine still depends on his mom for the most part for everything...place to live, food and laundry service.
My ds even though he is living with a disability is learning to do things for himself and me to...:)
I appreciated all his help when I had my heart attack more than he will ever know.
Heading off to bed still not feeling 100%.
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 10:00pm

I agree with you, it's the last thing we need to hear. I try to keep in mind our medical establishment is still in its infancy in many ways, being educated about holistic alternatives. And they still push the Rx's and OTC drugs or surgery first and foremost. I'm not saying that's not important in some cases. In some cases, that *is* what we need. But along with that, at least as long as I have some $$$ to do so, I will use supplements and herbs and holistic practitioners like chiropractors and acupuncturists. Because sometimes those all can *reduce* the longer term dangers of being on highly invasive drugs by reducing the amount we need to take, or to avoid invasive surgeries (which I did once with a ruptured cervical disc) at times.

But it means we really have to shoulder a lot of responsible for our own health, and pursue alternatives. And do a lot of research and ask a lot of questions and not just worship at the altar of medicine, you know? And that's difficult and we do have to accept that we may be taking some "risks," at least according to the medical establishment itself. In the long run, I believe there is a lot we can do to improve our own quality of life, even in partnership with our doctors and using Rx and OTC drugs. But it takes a lot of work to figure out how to combine the two. And not all doctors are very cooperative in that respect, I have found. <:=\ But I keep telling myself, IT'S MY BODY!!!! ;))

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Community Leader
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 9:17pm
My family doctor said that to me that I would have to live with it...my heart guy on the other hand says no one should have to...
I have a pretty high tolerance but this Psoriasis and RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) and my Asthma and the heart health issues have taken a toll.
The last thing we need or I need is to be told to just live with it...I ALREADY do...kwim?
Sad really eh?
<3
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 2:08pm
Yes, I have, when I felt the side effects were too nasty. That has happened several times with various blood pressure reducing Rx's over the years, when my doctor wanted to increase a dosage. I would live with the negative side effect for a few days to see if my body adjusted, and when it didn't, I would then go back to original dosage and email my doctor, listing the information on each drug, and my reactions. She always would back down on dosage and we would try something else. There's a "line in the sand" as far as I'm concerned, when quality of my life overrides a drug side effect. Now that I have a new cardiolgist, and she doesn't listen to me about some side effects that are building up currently with some of the Rx's I am taking, I kind of consider myself on my own until I can try a new cardiologist. In the meantime, I am hoping my new regular doc (my long time regular doc retired last year) will back me up more and be more like my old doc. I know my body; they don't. And if it's not a matter of life and death, I will not be told to "just live with it" because they have favorite drugs or something. Grrrrr! <:\\

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-15-2010 - 12:32pm

I was prescribed a sleeping pill because I was only sleeping 4 hours a night, in two shifts with about 3 hours awake time in between. The problems was staying asleep not going to sleep, and the sleeping pills did help stay asleep beyond 2 hours. There was also a nasty after taste when I would wake up, which I hated enough to also stop taking the pills.