What am I doing wrong?

iVillage Member
What am I doing wrong?
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 4:13pm

Hello all.

iVillage Member
Sat, 02-20-2010 - 7:29pm

It's a tough job to reduce "bad" cholesterol by diet and exercise, but it can be done. ;) Exercise, impact type, helps mostly your HDL, your "good" cholesterol, as I understand it. For the bad stuff, Weight Watchers helped me a lot, so I'll share what they taught me. :) As a supplement I also take fish oil, the Fisol brand, which is coated so you don't get smelly fish breath or burp back or indigestion like you can with other type capsules. Eating lots of fresh fish low in saturated fat and grilled/baked but not breaded or fried, helps, too. :P

No fried foods, fast foods. Loaded with saturated fat (raises bad cholesterol).

No skin on your chicken. :P No skin on turkey. White meat rather than dark meat, for lower fat. Very lean beef.

1% or fat free dairy. Fat free or low fat cheese. Fat free sour cream, yogurt (use fresh fruit and avoid yogurt w/ fruit in it; wasted calories w/ added sugar) & cottage cheese.

5 servings of fruits and veggies per day. Preferably fresh & raw or frozen (canned often have sugar as well as salt added).

Whole grains only; no white flour breads, etc. Brown rice, multi grain pasta, not white rice or regular noodles. (Healthier carbs).

No butter/margarine if you can manage. I use neither.

Read all labels for saturated fat and calories and stick to serving size. :P

Salad dressings: stick to fat free or low fat only. Again, looked at saturated fats. 2 tablespoons = 1 serving. Don't go over 1 serving. ;)

Nuts are not all created equal. Check saturated fats in different kinds. And measure quantity/serving size.

Even baked snack chips have fat and a whole lot of salt. You have to drink a lot of water to flush that out.

Treats: Ice cream stuff: stick to low fat not just "low carb." Beware crackers, cookies, pastries. Loaded with fat & sodium. Pay attention to serving size.

Hope some of that helps. I also stick to 1 cup servings veggies/fruits, 3 oz. meat servings, 1 c. Milk, yogurt. I measure. ;)

Good luck! {{{HUGS!}}} ;) Through Weight Watchers I lost about 86 lbs., and brought my bad cholsterol back down in the normal range, in 9 months. It's a lifestyle, though, to keep not only weight but cholesterol down... Daily exercise, too! ;)

I should have done WW years ago to learn to eat healthy and low fat, though. <:\\ I paid for all the years eating too high fat diet and not exercising regularly with a triple bypass last year because of years of eating unhealthy and not always exercising. :((

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Sun, 02-21-2010 - 8:58pm

Photobucket

How nice to meet you! I really have nothing to add to Gypsy's reply. Her suggestions are great and I think she has given you some sound advice. I take medication for high cholesterol, but mine is actually genetic. Regardless, exercise and watching your weight are mandatory for someone who wants to lower their bad cholesterol.

Take good care of YOU and let us know how things are progressing for you.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 02-22-2010 - 3:13am

I'm right there with you. I eat cheerios faithfully for a year, took 4000 mg of fish oil~and what did I get for my efforts? I'm now on Lipitor and am still doing the whole grain & fish oil.

Have a talk with your parents and see if it doesn't run in your family. My mom died of a stroke caused by her cholesterol, (she grew up not knowing her dad or his side of the family, I found them in 2005 and have found the cholesterol runs on that side of my family)

For me it sucks, as I'm lactose intol, so I don't alot of regular dairy products, just my lactose free milk and margarine (which has no cholesterol in it and I'm using 1% milk) I can't eat lettuce anymore due to GERD, but I do eat alot of veggies.

~Sam

~~Sam stitches well with others, runs with scissors in her pocket. Cheerful and stupid.
iVillage Member
Tue, 02-23-2010 - 12:01pm

It's an exercise thing at boot camp & mountain climbing, for sure.