Heart Disease In Store for Obese Kids

iVillage Member
Heart Disease In Store for Obese Kids
Tue, 03-02-2010 - 4:12pm
Future Heart Disease May Be in Store for Obese Kids

MONDAY, March 1 (HealthDay News) -- Obese children as young as 3 could harbor a warning sign that they're at risk of heart disease in the future, new research suggests.

In a study published online March 1 in the journal Pediatrics, researchers found higher levels of C-reactive protein -- a sign of inflammation and heart disease risk -- in obese kids. They also found higher levels of two other signs of inflammation in kids starting at ages 6 and 9.

Read more.

iVillage Member
Wed, 03-03-2010 - 1:56pm
Not surprising when many children are being raised on fast foods or processed foods regularly in their diet. Not to mention salty snacks and sugary treats. And little regular exercise for many as they grow up. Just as it is for their parents. Each generation raised with the eating habits of their parents, and maybe even the parents before them. Cultural foods also play a part. :(

I believe that there *are* many parents out there who are trying, both for themselves, as well as trying to raise their children in healthier lifestyles. But it's hard when our taste buds and our societal conditioning (check out all the food commercials on TV, from fast junk food to junk snacks to restaurants serving unhealthy fare high in salt, fat & cholesterol & sugar) are constantly bombarding us and our children. :(

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.