Lowfat Diet Does Little to Alter Cholest

iVillage Member
Lowfat Diet Does Little to Alter Cholest
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 2:39pm

Low-Fat Diet Does Little to Alter Cholesterol Levels

The latest report from a massive trial to determine the health value of a low-fat diet comes to the unexciting conclusion that it is probably not bad for your heart.

Such an eating regimen had almost no effect on cholesterol levels, according to a report in the April issue of the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition on the Women's Health Initiative (WHI), a national trial that gave some women intensive training and education on eating a low-fat diet and compared their health with women who didn't change their eating habits.

The best that study author Barbara V. Howard, a professor of medicine at Georgetown University, could say for a low-fat diet was that it didn't make things worse as far as affecting blood levels of good fats, such as HDL cholesterol, and bad fats, such as triglycerides.

"This diet did not raise triglycerides and didn't lower HDL cholesterol," Howard said. "It didn't do any of the adverse things that high-fat people have claimed."

Read more about Low-Fat Diet & Cholesterol.

iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 1:47pm
While statically that may be true. I had different results. I took 20 points off my my bad cholesterol in a year by going to a lower fat diet. Unfortunately it still was not enough and I still ended up going on meds.
iVillage Member
Sat, 03-20-2010 - 11:59am
I don't necessarily agree that a low fat diet does *not* alter cholesterol levels. My doc wanted me on a statin for the past 4 years because my weight was way up as well as my cholesterol lab work. :( Yet, for me, though, after being on the WW regimen for 8 months and losing most of the weight I wanted to lose, my "bad" cholesterol was back down below the high levels. So, it *can* make a difference, but it *does* require a true lifestyle change. Therein lies the tough challenge... Very, very difficult. And the stats aren't good even for people like me with major heart surgery, in successfully changing their eating habits. Instead there's a dependency on statin drugs to do all the work for you, etc., and lifestyle changes don't "take" even if they are attempted. Which is what the "Multifit" program my health plan has, that I was put into after surgery, seeks to help people accomplish: a true lifestyle change that is heart supportive. They seek to teach people how to change their lifestyle to support their damaged hearts. WW had already taught me some useful strategies, which others in the group still had to learn... As in the article about salt, though, our taste buds and our culture and attitudes/emotions about foods, fight us every step of the way when taking away the fat, because of the loss of flavor if we don't learn to cook with other spices. And using a variety of spices is more costly; something manufacturers of processed foods, frozen foods, etc, don't want to do. And then the jockeying of higher sugar/salt intake to make up for the perceived flavor loss. And I've just been through a 2-3 week binge going back to the salt/sugar rollercoaster ride and high fat cravings. Our bodies *do* fight us when we try to "go healthy..." UGH! But I'm back on track again, and finding I feel *much* better without the junk salt & sugar, and higher fat, in my system. After a lifetime of not eating healthy, though, with the wrong information about a "healthy" or "balanced diet" I grew up with, it's going to take a while to stick to it... I wonder, too, if after so many decades of eating wrong, that somehow we damage our bodies to a sufficient extent, that even when we do make a serious lifestyle eating change, that our bodies cannot regulate as they once could? I dunno...

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.