Kraft to cut salt in its North American

iVillage Member
Kraft to cut salt in its North American
Fri, 03-19-2010 - 8:14pm
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hTqfTWhXSSULtwbKsjIlC-KmeRLwD9EGLT1O0

Kraft to cut salt in its North American foods
By SARAH SKIDMORE (AP) – 2 days ago

PORTLAND, Ore. — Kraft Foods Inc. said Wednesday that it will cut the salt in its products that are sold in North America by an average of 10 percent over the next two years to appeal to health-conscious consumers.

The changes at Kraft, the largest U.S. food maker, will affect more than 1,000 products and eliminate more than 10 million pounds of salt over the two-year period, the company said.

Kraft and other food makers have cut their use of sodium in recent years. Among other cuts, the company said this latest move will cut the salt in Oscar Mayer Bologna by 17 percent, Easy Mac Cups by 20 percent and Velveeta by 10 percent.

"We are reducing sodium because it's good for consumers and, if done properly, it's good for business," Rhonda Jordan, president of health & wellness at Kraft Foods, said in a statement. "A growing number of consumers are concerned about their sodium intake, and we want to help them translate their intentions into actions."

Health experts generally agree Americans eat too much salt and the vast majority of it comes from processed food. The excess is dangerous because salt contributes to high blood pressure, which can lead to stroke, kidney disease, heart disease or heart failure.

Many health leaders have urged food makers to reformulate their products to reduce salt.

Dietary guidelines generally limit healthy adults to about a teaspoon, or 2,300 milligrams of sodium, a day. People who are most sensitive to salt — African Americans, people with high blood pressure and others — should limit their daily intake to 1500 milligrams, according to the Food and Drug Administration.

(article continues...)

At least a "big name" is jumping on the bandwagon, though. With the weight loss craze to fight growing obesity, there's a wealth of "low fat" or "reduced fat" products now out there. Problem is, most of the time, the amount of salt stays high... And *most* people may also need to watch their salt intake as well as their fat intake...

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Thu, 03-25-2010 - 6:00pm

At least a "big name" is jumping on the bandwagon...

One group

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 11:26pm
Great news! After my mom's recent heart attack, we have been looking @ sodium levels in the ingredients. I made a macaroni salad the other day & used half fat-free yogurt & half low fat mayo for the dressing. To power it up, we are Mrs. Dashing everything;) jan

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 3:29pm
I agree. I've had major heart surgery. I am on blood pressure reducing meds. DH is on blood pressure reducing meds. We do not buy fast foods or processed foods if we can help it. And buy low or no sodium whenever possible. We cook from scratch; no salt added. Thanks to Weight Watchers I have learned to use spices not an excess of salt. That helps add flavor without salt, and keep foods flavorful, on a low fat diet as well. :P

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 03-23-2010 - 2:49pm
I couldn't be happier that Kraft is doing this.

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 7:14pm

That's good, though I hope that the decrease in salt content will not mean an increase in price because it becomes a "low salt" item.

The easiest way is to cook from scratch, learn to use herbs and spices and limit processed foods.

iVillage Member
Mon, 03-22-2010 - 9:46am

"...it will cut the salt in its products that are sold in North America by an average of 10 percent over the next two years to appeal to health-conscious consumers."

I'm glad, because salt has much to do with metabolism & digestion, one should consider the amount as cholesterol & other chemicals