Meds for those w/out high cholesterol?

iVillage Member
Meds for those w/out high cholesterol?
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 11:29am
When the U.S. Food and Drug Administration in February approved the use of the cholesterol-lowering statin drug Crestor for some people with normal cholesterol levels, cardiologist Dr. Steven E. Nissen cheered the decision.

"You have to go with the scientific evidence," said Nissen, who is chairman of cardiovascular medicine at the Cleveland Clinic. "A clinical trial was done and there was a substantial reduction in morbidity and mortality in people treated with this drug."

But Dr. Mark A. Hlatky, a professor of health research and policy and medicine at Stanford University, has expressed doubts about the FDA move. He worries that more people will rely on a pill rather than diet and exercise to cut their heart risk, and also points to studies linking statins such as Crestor to muscle troubles and even diabetes.

What do you think?

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 8:17pm
Here they go again, pushing meds even at people who are not yet sick. Thanks for this post. It just gets to me that in our country the only solution the medical community can come up with is to sell us more and more meds. This pushing of statins is really motivated by money, especially since there are now enough evidence that foods like red yeast rice
iVillage Member
Thu, 04-08-2010 - 10:30am
"He worries that more people will rely on a pill rather than diet and exercise to cut their heart risk, and also points to studies linking statins such as Crestor to muscle troubles and even diabetes."

I agree with this. Our mentality is often to let a pill do the "magic" for health. Find the easy way and not have to change one's eating or exercise lifestyle. :// It's not the case, though, and without serious changes to eating habits, upped dosages can cause joint and muscle pain, and other side effects. I read a news article about a year ago of a study done in Britain that found people often just kept up with unhealthy eating habits and lack of exercise, thinking that taken the statin drug was enough. Taking drugs is not going to protect us and our hearts if we persist in poor eating and exercise habits no matter how much we wish it to be so. :(

That said, I am on a statin drug low dose now after my heart surgery a year ago. *NOT* because my cholesterol is too high. It was below normal before my heart surgery (but previous unhealthy eating habits for years damaged heart muscle and heart vessels). My doctors tell me, though, that statins also support heart function in certain ways, and so *that* is why I am to taking the Rx. Are they right? I don't know. But I am taking the drug.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 6:13pm
I had the same problems with niacin, with breaking out in blister-like lesions as a 'bonus.' :) That was several years ago, however, so maybe the after effects

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-06-2010 - 2:52pm

Geri, really the only effect I had from the niacin was a couple nights of those awful flushes.

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 6:21pm
Hi, Molly. I was prescribed niacin when my problem of high cholesterol was first found. I had some very bad adverse reactions to it and so I was taken off it. Have you had any problems?

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 6:19pm
This is difficult for me to answer because I see both sides of the argument. I have a family history of high cholesterol and maybe if this idea had come along a few years ago, I could have avoided the high cholesterol that I'm blessed with. On the other hand, if meds are readily available to those who do not have high cholesterol now, it may cause some problems with people eating healthy. I think the drug could be prescribed for someone with a family history like mine is. After all, if someone has a family history of breast cancer, for example, and there was a known drug that could be given to prevent the breast cancer, wouldn't you agree that it should be prescribed? Just my thoughts....

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 3:40pm
I can't take statins due to severe muscle pain/cramping and don't think they should be handed out like candy to those without cholesterol problems.

Molly

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-05-2010 - 12:13pm
This might be useful for those who come from families with a history of high cholesterol.