Heart Attack: Do you know your facts?

iVillage Member
Heart Attack: Do you know your facts?
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 11:26am

During a heart attack, women are less likely than men to feel severe chest pain typically associated with a heart attack (such as a tightening of the chest) and are more likely to report a feeling of severe heartburn in the upper abdomen or pain in the breast.

Here is a list of

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 11:53am
I knew about these differences, and because I knew and had an episode of anxiety, shortness of breath and general weakness, I ended up in the ER one day. Turned out to be a false alarm and I was totally embarrassed but the attending told me it was a good thing, that the symptoms I was experiencing were classic female symptoms and he wished more women were aware of that! SO, despite the embarrassment and the cost, I'm convinced that I did the right thing!

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 04-12-2010 - 12:16pm
Good for you!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 12:30am

I know what the symptoms are because I used to experience this. I was living through a period of severe anxiety. I went to see my GP, and I don't remember what he did or gave me but a lot of the symptoms went away after that. About a year after that I quit my job - the source of my anxiety!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 10:07am
Oh, I bet removing that source of anxiety did wonders for you both mentally & physically!

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 11:39am

Yes, it did, though I had nightmares about my boss for years afterward. The dreams were only occasional, and some days they weren't even bad dreams, but I would always wake up with a bitter taste in my mouth.

Curiously, on the rare occasion that we would bump into each other he would always be polite and even nice after I resigned.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 1:18pm

Like Carol, I have been rushed to the ER on occasion with heart attack-like symptoms, only to find out that nothing had actually happened. I was totally embarrassed! When I began hearing my heartbeat pounding in my ears, I ignored it because I convinced myself that it was nothing. When it went on for weeks, I finally agreed to see my cardiologist. When I got to the clinic, my heart beat was at 104 BPM and increased thereafter to 114 BPM. Everything possible was done to try and bring my heartbeats back to normal, but nothing worked. Finally, I had to have a cardioversion, which kept me in the hospital overnight. It's amazing that I didn't - literally -die. Now I take meds to keep my heart functioning as it should. Surprisingly, I've never experienced a heart attack to date. I've learned from that particular incident to never take anything for granted. I'm the only person who knows that something is "out of whack" and I'll see a doctor ASAP.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 1:43pm
I'm glad you'll now see a doctor when you feel something is "out of whack".

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 10:57pm

I wasn't aware of the sleeplessness part.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 9:58am
Yikes, with that BP, I'm not surprised you weren't feeling right.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:51pm
When I had my heart catheterization last year just prior to my triple bypass and aneurysm repair, the doctors and I were all flabbergasted at the damage apparent. I had never had *any* symptoms I could pinpoint, and the dead heart muscle they removed, was evidence of a heart attack sometime in the past, but not at all recent. :O Yet, even the day before the catheterization and the day before surgery, I was walking 3-4 miles per day with my dog! With *no* symptoms or problems! So, it's very true that we women do not often get any warning signs... ://

I think we have to use common sense, too, though, and not always rush off to the ER. I think since I also learned to eat more healthy, cut my portions of foods 'way back, as well as reduce salt in my diet, and go to a lowfat diet, some of the symptoms will be less confusing. For example, I don't ever get heartburn any more because of the healthier diet. So, if I do get a severe bout, say, I'm heading to the ER because I know my body and I know such a symptom is *not* normal.

I will still likely chalk up sore muscle twinges in my neck, side, arm, as just "normal" because I *do* get them on occasion. I can't be running to the ER for every little twinge. Nor will I live in fear of every bodily twinge that occurs. :( It just wouldn't make sense to me. Yet I hope that if something persisted, I would pay attention and get checked out. (crossing my fingers..)

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.