Simple Carbs Pose Heart Risk

iVillage Member
Simple Carbs Pose Heart Risk
Tue, 04-13-2010 - 12:57pm
As women, we tend to love our carbs, but a new Italian study shows that women who eat a diet rich in carbs are at a higher risk for heart disease.

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:36pm
from the article:

"Carbohydrates with a high glycemic index include corn flakes, white bread and white rice. Those with lower scores include whole wheat products and sweet potatoes."

There's a huge diference between the "simple carbs" and the complex carbs. We *do* need carbs, but we should be avoiding the simple ones, the white flower and white rice and pastas from same. Also, I think often carbs are "comfort foods" and we eat too much of the prepared processed bakery and snack foods that use the simple carbs because they are *cheaper* to produce and people are addicted to them. ://

Also, portion size is key, even with the complex carbs, which *are* healthy... 1/2 cup to 1 cup is *plenty* but most of the time we consume far more than that as a serving size. And to me, *that* is what increases our risk. Portions and "simple" carbs, not simplified into "all carbs." Not to mention the high saturated fat content also present in how these carb foods are prepared...

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Wed, 04-14-2010 - 2:51pm
I very much agree with your thoughts on addiction to simple carbs and portion size/preparation.