FDA Taking Aim At Salt Content

iVillage Member
FDA Taking Aim At Salt Content
Tue, 04-20-2010 - 11:20am
Currently, manufacturers can use as much salt as they like in products because under federal standards, it falls into the category deemed "generally recognized as safe." Foodmakers are merely required to report the amount on nutrition labels.

But for the past 30 years, health officials have grown increasingly alarmed as salt intake has increased with the explosion in processed foods and restaurant meals. Most adults consume about twice the government's daily recommended limit, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Read more about how reducing salt intake could both save lives and reduce taste.

Personally, I think this is a long time in coming.

iVillage Member
Tue, 04-27-2010 - 12:26pm
IMO, it's not the gov't's job to "nanny" us about what we eat. Provide educational information, even in our public schools, as well as through our health providers, yes, absolutely. And I think the market should/could respond if we showed a little "grown up" self-discipline, and learned to eat in a healthy manner. For those of us already raised to be addicted to salt & sugar, that is the real difficulty, IMO. We learned to eat in unhealthy ways, using unhealthy food preparation, in relying on "convenience" fast foods and processed foods. And we in turn raised our children to eat the same ways. :o/ If the sales of such unhealthy products went down, manufacturers would have to find other alternatives and develop healthier products that consumers would buy. Once in awhile, salty snacks are fine, IMO, anyway. Look at the response for "low fat" or "no trans fat" products! Even in snack foods or frozen meals. And manufacturers have responded to this demand. Unfortunately, the problem is that, by removing the fat content, the flavor we like is generally *also* reduced. :// So, the cheapest "spice" to *increase* flavor so people will eat these low fat substitute foods, is salt. So that is what the manufacturers do. So, eating low fat alternatives, thinking we are being "healthier" actually increases our salt intake. :\\ Vicious cycle, yes? :O Banning foods or telling restaurants what they can and cannot serve is like the historic ban on liquor we had in this country. That hardly worked well. LOL! We had bootleggers and people still got their booze. So what shall we have now, bootleg salty foods? LOL! :P I think if we started eating healthier, stopped buying unhealthy fast foods or junk foods in grocery stores, stopped raising our kids eating this junk, but raising a new generation with a palate for healthy foods prepared in healthy ways, things might change in what our food industry produces. As long as every new generation is taught to love sugar & salt, nothing will really change.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.