Bottled Up Anger Hurts Your Heart

iVillage Member
Bottled Up Anger Hurts Your Heart
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 11:54am

Anger can strangle blood flow in the heart and lead to abnormal heart rhythms, and has been linked to an increased risk of heart disease. There's also evidence that suppressing anger can be harmful to the heart. In the current study, the researchers investigated the interplay among "Type D" personality, anger, anger suppression, and outcomes in heart disease patients.

While 4 percent of the patients who didn't have Type D personalities had high levels of suppressed anger, nearly 20 percent of the Type D personality patients did, the researchers found. The personality type also quadrupled the risk of having a heart attack or dying during follow-up.

The findings don't mean that people with Type D personalities or people who have a tough time expressing their anger are doomed to be unhealthy, Denollet noted. "Anger is one of the emotions that (tells) us something is not going the way we would like it to go," the researcher said. People should be aware of their angry feelings and figure out where they're coming from; "it's important to take next steps and try to do something about the situation," Denollet told Reuters Health.

For some people, according to Denollet, finding a way to speak up for themselves and discuss what's angering them with other people in a "sociable, nice way" will be enough; for others, professional help such as assertiveness training and social skills training may be warranted.

Read more.

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 4:20pm
Not as well as I should, I fear... but I do NOT bottle up anger long before it blows so maybe I'm not a true type D...

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-03-2010 - 9:40pm

Not only for anger, but for any other emotions that are not expressed and that are overwhelming: take a photo of a garbage bin, visualize throwing out all the things bothering you that you don't need anymore. All that heat from the anger? Do you need it? No? Out it goes. That feeling in your throat? The lump that won't go away? Do you want it? No? Then out it goes. And so on.

Second step: I visualize sitting in a garden, my secret garden. It's a beautiful day outside, and I'm sitting underneath a shady tree. I contemplate all of this, I feel the soft breeze, I feel the sun on my skin, I hear the birds singing. Then I inhale slowly, exhale all that I don't need anymore. I do this for a few minutes.

Third step: I visualize walking away from the issue and from my feelings, and I turn back to look at it from further away. Does it look the same? Is it a big and important as it seemed when I was surrounded by it? Does it seem manageable now? Is it really what it seemed to be when I was in the middle of it, or do I see other things I hadn't seen before?

Fourth step: I either write down why I was initially angry, and I also write down what it looks like from afar. I write down what's really bothering me - what triggered the anger. If I am going to address this with the people involved, what I wrote can be the basis of what I am going to say. I might write a monologue of what I am going to tell them, so that my emotions don't control me and take over.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 9:21am
What great tips Poppy!

Community Leader
Tue, 05-04-2010 - 5:08pm

<3

~hugs~

I loved this Poppy!

Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Thu, 05-06-2010 - 2:16pm
Not to mention, fear, anxiety, worry, stress... Unhealthy mental states induced by TV shows, books, videos, etc., that fuel intense emotions and can create states that slop over into "real life" reactions and responses. :// All of the above can harm our hearts. That's why exercise, even spiritual practices like meditation, t'ai chi, yoga are so important, and staying away from too violent or upsetting "leisure" activities. And not just for heart disease patients.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.