Can Air Pollution Cause Heart Attack?

iVillage Member
Can Air Pollution Cause Heart Attack?
Tue, 05-11-2010 - 2:00pm

According to research published in Circulation: Journal of the American Heart Association, short-term exposure to air pollution can trigger a heart attack, strokes and even sudden death in people at high risk for cardiovascular disease.

Read more for tips to minimize your exposure to harmful pollutants.

How do you avoid air pollution or other irritants?

iVillage Member
Mon, 05-17-2010 - 5:11pm
How do you avoid air pollution or other irritants? Honestly, I don't. It's almost impossible to do. I have an allergy to dust, but I have to dust my furniture and sweep my floor. I also have litter boxes to take care of. I do have heart disease, but I'm not sure if irritants

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 2:17am

How do you avoid air pollution or other irritants?

The frequency of my breathing problems says that I don't really, despite mostly staying indoor and using a clean fan in all types of weather.

cl-flowersmiladyknight

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:00am
Do you wear a mask and gloves when doing your household chores?

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:02am
I can't avoid it. It's really bad here. I live in a less polluted area, but if I walk on a main street here... hello pollution!

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:20am
The only way I could think of would be to wear a mask all the time, which is not something i'd enjoy doing myself.

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 9:21am
Does your fan have a hepa filter?

iVillage Member
Tue, 05-18-2010 - 3:54pm
No. (She says while looking away.) It would probably help, but I feel like a freak, especially with the mask. I have what I call "coughing fits" as well as

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 05-19-2010 - 9:13pm
Nope, I just keep it clean and

cl-flowers

iVillage Member
Fri, 05-21-2010 - 1:57am
Having lived for a period in Smog City USA (LA in the late 60's) I can tell you that it is nigh on to impossible to avoid exposure. All you can do is cut down on physical exertion, stay inside and hope...

CL for "

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 1:22pm
I live in a highly urban area, but luckily no factories spewing junk in our vicinity. I don't have allergies, fortuantely. I did note in the article it said, “in susceptible individuals." So, common sense in evaluating such articles, is needed. :)

Also, the article said, "The AHA points out that the heart hazards of pollution are small compared to other modifiable risk factors, like smoking, obesity and high blood pressure, but contends that it is still a “serious health problem.” So, IMO, we have to take these kinds of articles with a grain of salt, and not freak out about them. Sure, do what we can, and evaluate where we live, what we can do within our homes, etc.

The "magic" is supporting our hearts:

"The best thing people can do to protect themselves from the dangers of air pollution is work on lowering those other risk factors, by losing weight, quitting smoking and getting blood pressure under control through exercise and a heart-healthy diet."

And we already know that, being in a risky group with heart disease and compromised heart health, right? ;)) Common sense, even conferences with our docs, if needed, makes more sense, as well as reading closely articles such as this before getting too anxiety-ridden about what the article says. :P Sure, air pollution is bad for everyone, especially those with chronic health impairments, like heart disease, lung disease, allergies, etc. Short of moving into the middle of nowhere, most of us have to look at our daily lifestyle, to try to mitigate risks. Doctor supervision, Rx's as needed, and a healthy as possible lifestyle. IOW, worry about what we *can* change in our lives, and not worry ourselves into a tizzy, (also not good for our hearts, anxiety attacks! :O) about things we cannot change.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.