Discharged Against Medical Advice - E...

iVillage Member
Discharged Against Medical Advice - E...
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 4:17pm

Discharged Against Medical Advice - Ever done it? (see article below)

• Yes (please explain)
  • No (please explain)
  • Other (please share your thoughts)

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Thu, 05-20-2010 - 4:18pm

Hospital patients receiving treatment for heart disease who decide to discharge themselves before their doctors deem them ready end up costing hospitals more if and when they are readmitted.

The finding, set to be reported this week during the International Society for Pharmacoeconomics and Outcomes Research meeting in Atlanta, comes from work conducted by researchers at the University of Maryland school of Pharmacy (UM).

The UM team, led by Eberechukwu Onukwugha, an assistant professor in the school's department of pharmaceutical health services research, analyzed the records of more than 347,000 heart patients who had been cared for at Maryland hospitals between 2000 and 2005.

Nearly 20,000 of those patients had been readmitted to the same hospital for more heart care following their initial stay.

Read more.

iVillage Member
Sun, 05-23-2010 - 1:37pm
The only way I would take such a risk would be if I was unfortunate enough *not* to have health insurance coverage. In that case, I could see discharging myself because I could not pay the bills... and did not want to end up living on the street or in my car, losing my home, etc. In fact, both DH & I worry about what will happen when he retires and we no longer have the coverage he gets from his employer... If we didn't have the coverage, I would not have had my heart surgery, much less expensive tests like the heat catheterization. I would have had to take my chances without. ://

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.