BP Drugs Tied to Rise in Cancer Risk

iVillage Member
BP Drugs Tied to Rise in Cancer Risk
Thu, 06-17-2010 - 1:18pm

Use of a popular class of drugs for high blood pressure and heart failure is associated with a slight boost in cancer risk, a new review of data finds.

The drugs are known as angiotensin-receptor blockers (ARBs) and include medicines such as telmisartan (Micardis), losartan (Cozaar, Hyzaar), valsartan (Diovan) and candesartan (Atacand).

Read

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-19-2010 - 2:01pm
But the evidence that ARBs can play a real role in cancer growth remains unclear, he said, and these findings only show an association, not cause-and-effect.

"Before we jump to that conclusion, I feel we need more analysis," Sipahi said.

Several laboratory studies reported by researchers in the United States and Japan have found evidence that ARBs might prevent growth or recurrence of several forms of cancer -- bladder, prostate, breast -- but "I know of no controlled studies that show that," Sipahi said.

Another expert agreed that the data on ARBs and cancer risk is unsettled at best."

Well, I'm on one of those Rx's and have been for some years. It's one blood pressure lowering med I don't have nasty side effects from. And I'm on the lowest dosage, in combination with low dosages of other Rx drugs as well. The thought being, keeping me at the lowest dosages reduces risks of side effects, rather than using one drug and bumping the dosage up as needed. I can live a relatively side effect free life thanks to my docs using this approach. Even having had heart surgery last year. :) So, I'm not going to panic or freak out about this article. There is still much study and research yet to be done and articles such as this can contribute to people's worries when really there is not enough actual evidence to warrant changing meds or dropping one med for another. And running the risk another med won't work as well with one's own body's chemistry, or living with nasty side effects on another drug. So, I agree that caution needs to be exercised in reading this kind of information.

I also think that no matter what, we pay a price in our health for taking Rx drugs. Long term or short term. We may also pay a price with OTC drugs. Heck, even supplements and dosages of those can carry a price, depending on the person. :O If our health concerns are severe enough, such as with heart disease, blood pressure problems, as well as other chronic health problems that require maintenance Rx's, than we really have to weigh the risks of both taking Rx's and not taking them. Just as we do with OTCs and supplements, herbs, etc. We and our doctors and pharmacists make the best choices possible so that we can live a better physical life, with less symptoms and more ability to enjoy our lives. And keep us alive with a decent quality of life. None of that comes without risk.

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Community Leader
Mon, 06-21-2010 - 8:12am
~hugs~
"Well-Said"!
My ds worries about my meds but I talked to him about the pros and cons and the side-effects vs how it impacts directly in regards to my "QUALITY OF LIFE"...
It has helped him feel less anxious.
Nightangel
Nightangel
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-21-2010 - 11:09am

I also think that no matter what, we pay a price in our health for taking Rx drugs. Long term or short term. We may also pay a price with OTC drugs. Heck, even supplements and dosages of those can carry a price, depending on the person.

Agreed!