Cholesterol and You

iVillage Member
Cholesterol and You
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 10:50am

This is something I wanted to share with ALL of you...it's from Everyday Health.com

High Cholesterol Risk Factors: Those You Can Change

Fortunately, there are many risk factors that you can control. These include:

* What you eat. It's unclear exactly how a diet that's high in saturated fat leads to an increased level of cholesterol in your blood, but doctors do know that high cholesterol in the blood causes atherosclerosis, also known as hardening or narrowing of the arteries, that increases your risk of heart disease and heart attack. The fats that cause this include saturated fats, trans-fatty acids (or trans fats), and cholesterol found in egg yolks, meat, and cheese.
* Weight. Obesity can increase LDL levels, reduce HDL levels, and increase the total cholesterol level.
* No exercise. A sedentary lifestyle and a lack of regular exercise is another risk factor for high cholesterol. Exercising will help you to lower your LDL level, raise your HDL level, and lose weight.
* Diabetes. Having diabetes may worsen your cholesterol levels. It's also an additional risk for coronary heart disease. If you have diabetes and also have high LDL levels, your risk of coronary heart disease will dramatically increase.
* High blood pressure. Having high blood pressure along with high cholesterol can increase your risk of heart disease and heart attack. If you have high blood pressure, it is important that you take steps to lower your blood pressure.
* Smoking. Cigarette smoking may decrease HDL levels, and is, in itself, an additional risk factor for atherosclerosis and heart disease.

While there are some things you can't change, like family history, age, and gender, there are a number of steps you can take to lower your overall cholesterol. Follow a healthy diet, exercise, and keep your weight in check to reduce your chances for having high cholesterol.
Last Updated: 06/17/2009
This section created and produced exclusively by the editorial staff of EverydayHealth.com. © 2010 EverydayHealth.com; all rights reserved.

One of the best things you can do for yourself, a family member, or a friend is to educate and advocate.

I never knew I even had high cholesterol or any issues with my blood pressure.
It was on a visit to my doctor after he sent me for blood tests that I found my cholesterol was dangerously high.
My blood pressure is high.
I take medication for both.
Please be pro-active about your heart health, it could save your LIFE.
<3

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-05-2010 - 7:46pm

Hi there...

Yes what you wrote here is true . Whether we like it or not from a young age and

above, we have to exercise. Helps everything.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 3:59pm

In spite of my heart attack and the RA (Rheumatoid Arthitis) I try to exercise daily.

There are some days when it is difficult if next to impossible but I am definitely not a Quitter.

I look at RA and my Heart Health as something I am tackling "Head-On"...my kids call me "Warrior MOM"...;)...lol...:)...

Out today but I took the bus which is air-conditioned and I walk to and from my bus stop but I take breaks when I need to, carry water or a drink, and am wearing a hat today.

I had a couple of errands to run, picking up my prescriptions and picking up a few things for ds and I.

I tend to make more than one trip a week because it's easier for me that way.

It gets me out to.

Went to a FREE Community Lunch where they also offer breakfast and were OPEN today from 7-3 and had bottled water, coffee and tea available.

They had the lights turned off or down and the air was on...it was heavenly.

Just a place for people to go to get some relief from the heat and humidity.

Our local Library is offering water and a place for people to sit and rest and get some relief today to.

Very cool!

It's hopefully going to rain so that we ALL can have a break from this heat wave...it was difficult sleeping last night.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-06-2010 - 5:51pm

Well you are

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 3:13pm

Thanks!

I am trying!

Good for you!

I do take the bus but have been trying to walk a little bit.

Wear my hat and also carry water or a drink, today I brought two with me!

I live in Canada...Southern Ontario...we are experiencing a heat wave.

Very hot and humid.

Wasn't as bad last night sleeping but I think I was just really tired.

I made supper at 10 pm for my ds and me, it was too hot to cook any earlier.

Neither of us were really ALL that hungry either.

Just trying to not give in...

Kudos to you to!

Thanks very much for posting.

:)

A Warm Welcome to Heart Health!

<3

iVillage Member
Wed, 07-07-2010 - 5:44pm

At least you are working on it.

If too hot, just eat a light supper.

I know New York, Boston and those areas are just as hot, too.

I keep reading eat heavier in the mornings and eat light for dinner.

When I first started walking , I was not good at it.

Then I tried Leslie Sansone and her walking is so much better and gets one

moving.

Thanks for welcome.

hello51310-1.gif picture by sweetroseoo7

iVillage Member
Thu, 07-08-2010 - 11:34am
All very good info! :) I am also on lowering blood pressure meds. Mine went crazy near the birth of my DD, nearly 30 years ago. Never came back down. :o\ I smoked before that, ate high saturated fat diet (I am a major cheese lover, unfortunately!) and only periodically went through a "phase" of daily exercise. My weight was always a roller-coaster. :(( In later life, at my twice yearly blood work ups my doc would warn I may need to take a statin because my cholesterol was going up. I ignored her and refused the Rx. Basically kept eating high saturated fat; didn't exercise regularly. My weight ballooned 80 lbs above what I should weigh. :O Then I joined Weight Watchers and lost the weight, and sticking to their low fat diet, my cholesterol levels became normal without a statin drug. However, in flunking an EKG, we found 3 artieries blocked and dead heart muscle from a previous heart attack I never knew I'd had. :O And then, the heart surgery March 2009. The combination of smoking and birth contol pills (lots higher dose of estrogen in those pills in the 70s than now) is what messed up my body's ability to regulate my blood pressure. :// But even well-regulated blood pressure does not mean you won't have problems, if your diet and lack of exercise are busily clogging your arteries. :O

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:08am
Your Welcome!...;)
It's been so hot and humid here that the most important thing is to make sure you drink plenty of fluids, stay indoors if possible, wear a hat/cap if you are out, eat lighter like salads and fruit...maybe smaller meals more often.
A couple of night my ds and I ate later our supper when it was cooler.
I made us hamburgers. Also we had sandwiches to.
They set up some cooling stations/centres here which was great!
I find even with my heart health issues and the RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) I feel better and sleep better if I walk even ONLY a little bit.
Can't run or walk a marathon but I do try to walk everyday.
I have to check her out.
My heart doctor said to take it slow, do it in moderation...When I have been out this week I take the bus...heavenly, it's air-conditioned.
Been to two local cooling stations/centres.
Wore my hat, taken water/drink with me, and made sure to take my medications.
Also used my cart so I am not over-doing it or over-exerting myself in this weather.
It's good to see you again!
<3
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 6:25am
Thanks so much for reminding us Gypsy.
I never thought I would be a candidate for a heart attack...:(
I don't smoke never had any issues with cholesterol or blood pressure or so I thought...no weight issues.
But my beloved Mom had died of a heart attack and heart disease runs in my family.
Both my sister and I are dealing with this, she is younger.
Now I am more pro-active,
My dd smokes, I really wish she didn't but she doesn't do it around me.
After my separation and divorce my home became smoke-free, my ex smoked.
He has had heart-health issues.
I believe he quit, he wants our dd to.
In my family ONLY my Mom smoked my dad never has but he does have some issues with cholesterol...he is in his seventies, my Mom died in her fifties.
I always thought I don't smoke I am not at risk.
Anybody can be at risk.
I remember telling my doctor I felt like my blood pressure was up...kind of high.
Please insist that they check it if you have concerns...
My cholesterol was through the roof, no wonder I didn't feel good.
Fantastic information you have given us.
Thank-you!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 12:29pm
I see my cardiologist & general doctor regularly, have regular blood work, since I am on multiple Rx's both for heart support and blood pressure control. The idea is to keep dosages low to avoid side effects that often come with higher dosages of a particular drug, so I take a variety of Rx's... I also have a BP cuff and take my own blood pressure readings several times/week, and keep a written log. I email my MDs periodically w/ my log info. So I know if my BP is out of whack.

Still, when all the heart damage was discovered before my heart surgery, my BP readings were fine and did not indicate any problems...until the EKG for minor surgery showed my heart had problems. :\\ At that point I was walking 3-4 miles/day at least 6 days a week, was on WW and had lost 70 lbs. And, I had *no* symptoms to tell me I had problems! Heart disease isn't prevalent in my family, as far as I know, either, so no warnings or cautionaries there for me. So, while I take BP readings regularly, that isn't necessarily enough info I guess. :O

Now, post surgery, they have me do echo cardiograms and a nuclear radiogram yearly to check my heart function as well. Women don't show or have the same symptoms as men get, and I never even knew I'd had a heart attack, although the doctors saw the damage and removed dead heart muscle in my surgery. So, we just don't always know... :O

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

Photobucket

Strong like a mountain,

Flowing like a river."

~~Tai Chi Chih

Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photobucket

Mika Dog

"All things share the same breath;

the beast, the tree, the man.

The Air shares its spirit with

all the life it supports."

--Chief Seattle

"If there are no dogs in Heaven,

then when I die I want to go where they went."

~Will Rogers

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress

can be judged by the way its animals are treated."

~~Mahatma Gandhi

Photobucket Photobucket

Blessings,

Gypsy

)O(

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-09-2010 - 12:45pm

Glad you have cooling stations available in your area.

Understand it is hard to deal with heart and the RA, etc.

Yes have to keep active the best way we can do them.

Good for you in keeping active to help you.

Continued cheers.

thhellndhey_43.gif picture by sweetroseoo7

Pages