A Quiz!

iVillage Member
A Quiz!
Mon, 08-16-2010 - 10:24am
iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_nightangel67
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:35am
Thanks for taking the Quiz...
I took it and am amazed at what I have learned, most of it though after my doctor found my cholesterol was very high, so high he was very concerned.
He put me on medication for that.
And then about a month or so later I ended up in the ER with chest pains.
I had been telling him I felt like I had issues with my blood pressure. Felt like it was high.
My beloved Mom died of a heart attack.
Heart Disease runs in her family...
Both my sister and I have issues with cholesterol and blood pressure.
I do have heart disease.
I am learning some things are out of my control but some aren't...working on those...;)...I appreciated you taking the time to respond and taking the time to check out the Quiz.
Again, thanks!
One of the MOST important things I have learned through ALL of this is informing and advocating.
I was a non-smoker didn't think my Risk for a Heart Attack was very high but I was wrong.
With my family history and other issues and factors I was a perfect candidate.
This not just a Man's Disease anymore either.
Not necessarily an older individual either, I was forty-nine.
My Mom died in her early fifties.
Learning to take control and being responsible for our own health is vitally important.
<3
iVillage Member
Wed, 08-18-2010 - 11:20am

Your Results: Your heart is healthy

It seems that you have been actively preserving the health of your heart, and your hard work and discipline will probably pay off in the long-run. By not smoking, eating healthy and exercising, you are keeping your cholesterol and blood pressure levels low, which are important in avoiding heart disease and future heart attacks. Look below to find out more about why your healthy habits are paying off. Live long and live well.

In Your Control:

* Smoking: Smoking damages the walls of the blood vessels, making it easier for fatty deposits to accumulate on them.
* Diet: Your diet should be rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fiber. Avoid foods high in cholesterol, which means animal products such as eggs, cheese, red meat and butter, and watch out for saturated and trans fats too.
* Exercise: Any exercise is a good start, but make sure to incorporate cardiovascular exercise into your workouts, and try to get at least 30 minutes of exercise in every day.
* Blood pressure: 120/80 mmHg is your ideal blood pressure. Anything over 140/90 mmHg is considered dangerously high and you should be evaluated by a medical professional immediately.
* Cholesterol: Your total cholesterol level should be below 200 mg/dL. A total cholesterol level of 240 mg/dL is considered high. LDL (bad) cholesterol should be below 130 mg/dL and HDL (good) cholesterol should be above 40 mg/dL.
* Stress: Try to keep levels of stress low, because when you're stressed out, you're more likely to overeat or smoke, increasing your risk factors for suffering a heart attack.
* Overweight: If you're overweight, even by 20 pounds, and especially in the midsection, you're making your heart work too hard.
* Diabetes: Diabetes increases your risk of heart attack, but even more so when blood sugar levels aren't controlled by insulin injections (type 1) or proper dietary habits (type 2).

Out of Your Control

* Family history: You're more likely to have at least one or two risk factors for heart disease and suffer a heart attack if a family member or members have also suffered from heart problems.
* Gender: Men have a greater risk of suffering a heart attack, and have attacks earlier in life than women do. However, women are less likely to survive a heart attack than men.
* Age: The risk of a heart attack increases with age. The highest risk occurs after 55 years of age for men and 65 years of age for women.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-17-2010 - 2:15am
Your Results: Start paying more attention to heart health.

The health of your heart may already be in jeopardy. But there is good news. First, you seem to already be including some healthy habits into your lifestyle, and second, once you start making healthier lifestyle changes, you will almost immediately reduce your risk of heart disease and a heart attack. If you need a little guidance on how to live a more heart-healthy life, educate yourself on the risks that you can control and those that you can't. Live long and live well.