Introduce yourself here!

iVillage Member
Introduce yourself here!
Fri, 08-26-2005 - 2:08pm

Hello:

Welcome to the newest addition to the iVillage Diet & Fitness Message Boards.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Sat, 09-03-2005 - 5:42pm
Hi,
I am considering surgery.I did the first application and I am waiting for a screening.I really do not want to have to resort to this but all else seems to fail.I am 260 lbs. I have many health issues. My lungs I have COPD & emphysema.I need oxygen at night for a sleep disorder. My breathing is pretty bad. My knees are shot. I just had to get a walker for night as my legs just won't work at night when I need to get up. I have a high output colostomy. I also have high blood pressure. I take a lot of medications. I am told many of these hinder losing weight.I have gained the majority of this weight in the last 5 years. I quit smoking then too. That was the hardest thing I have ever done, that is until now.I have lost 13 lbs on The South Beach Diet in the last two months.Most of that was water. my ankles are down quite a bit. I am not doing well with any this. I need to lose a larger amount of weight or I am going to give up. I really have tried. I am trying to inquire about a liquid diet. If I don't get more of this weight off I am not going to be able to walk and I am struggling to breathe.If I lose enough to start to feel better I know I can go on.I need to walk for exercise I have trouble walking to car. I have to be able to keep functioning. Anyone have any ideas for me?
Thank You for listening to all this.
iVillage Member
Mon, 09-05-2005 - 9:40am

Hi there. I am considering the lap band surgery. It's not as invasive as gastric bypass. They don't cut your stomach or take anything out. They just put a band around the stomach to slow things down. My family had a big intervention with me last night because they are very concerned with my weight. I am 150/160 lbs overweight. I have high cholesterol, sleep apnea, swelling in my ankles, and if I don't get this under control I could end up with Type II Diabetes. I had gestational diabetes during my pregnancy last year.

I'm at rock bottom and out of control. I won't do gastric bypass. I think the lap band would be a much better alternative for me. I'm scared and looking to hear from others who have had it done.

Photobucket
iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 2:01pm

Hi there and welcome to the board!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 2:19pm
Hi there!

iVillage Member
Wed, 09-07-2005 - 8:59pm
Hi,
I just got my screening date today. I am going the 27th of Sept. I am nervous of course and I have no idea what to think about any of this. If anyone out there that would like to tell me their experiences please do. The more I know the better I am. Also I have a colostomy and is there anyone out there that has both? Apparently that is an additional consideration for the Doctor to make.
Thank You for the support.
Janet
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2005 - 1:24am

It's been forever and a day since I have been to this site, but decided to come back to share my experiences with women who might be going through the same thing I have already gone through. So, let me start with reintroducing myself.

HI!!!!! My name is Wendi and I have had bariatric surgery. It was the best decision I ever made. After 3 kids and one less gall bladder I was a whopping 130 lbs more than what I weighed in high school Thank god for a loving husband who stuck around despite the physical change (it probably helped he gained a lot too. Anyways, I thought I would never do the surgery. I saw quite a few people at work do it and always thought it was the lazy way, you know the easy way out. Then I saw how great everyone was looking and also began to realize that it wasnt easy to only be able to eat just a little. I heard a lot of food horror stories thateen included one girl chewing and spitting an entire jar of pickles. In Sept of 2004 I decided that I was tired of Atkins, Weight Watchers, Pills and everything else i had tried not working. I would get down about 50 lbs then stall for months, get frustrated and gain it all back. My blood pressure was high, I snored terribly, and my feet hurt so bad when I got out of bed in the morning it was hard to walk. The day I had the surgery (12-7-04) I weighed 280 lbs at 5 ft 11 inches and wore a 22. I had laproscopic Rouen-y gastric bypass. The day after surgery i went home without blood pressure meds, and not feeling too badly. Fast forward 9 months. I have lost 125 lbs weigh 155 and wear a 10. My blood pressure has been normal since the day after surgery, i no longer snore and my feet no longer hurt. I have very limited skin issues, but insurance will pay for most of it when i maintain my current weight for 6 months. I cant wait to get "the lift". This was the best thing i could have ever done for myself and would do it again in a heartbeat. I feel absolutley wonderful and wanted to share my experience with others contemplating surgery, or who have already gone through it. I really hope to be of some help to anyone who needs it.

Wendi

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2005 - 1:30am

HI there :^),

I have had the bypass surgery myself and chose it over the lapband. I know a lot of people who have had one procedure or the other and in my travels I have seen a higher percentage of people gain the weight back with the lapband. It is a very personal choice, but is something to consider when making your decision.

Wendi

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2005 - 1:47pm

Hi Wendi,
Thanks for your input. I know that with the lapband you supposedly have to work harder to lose and maintain. I also know that you really need to go for the fills when you "get comfortable" where you are at or with eating. I only know one person who had bypass surgery, and I see that she has gained back a portion of her weight. I'm too scared to get the bypass. I don't want to "change anything" inside me, ya know? I'm scared anyway. I'm going to a seminar about it next week. Hearing from others who have had either procedure helps so much. Thanks again.

~ Kim

Photobucket