Hi!!!

iVillage Member
Hi!!!
Sun, 08-28-2005 - 10:10pm

I am soo glad they decided to put a WLS message board on ivillage. My name is Becky, I had a RNY 2 years ago. I am really looking forward to finding others to find support with. I am happy to answer any questions about my surgery. I am also a RN @ the hospital I had my surgery, and have worked on the bariatric unit in our hospital. I am 25 and have just started my BSN program online, which is a lot of stress right now. I hope more people join soon.

Becky

iVillage Member
In reply to: nrs_grl2005
Mon, 08-29-2005 - 12:26pm

Hi Becky!

I'm very glad to have you here.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-29-2005 - 11:11pm

Sure, with the RNY, they reduce your stomach to the size of about a thumb. I could only eat about 3 ounces @ a time right after my surgery. I wish I could still do that!!! Also they take part of the intestines out that is responsible for a lot of absorption of fat. The down side to it is that a lot of needed nutrients also are not absorbed, so it is very important for anyone having this surgery to take vitamins, calcium, and iron for the rest of their lives. Some surgeons do this procedure using a laproscopic technique where there are only about 4 small incisions. My surgeon did not offer this at the time and my cut was pretty big. I've had a lot of success with my surgery. I would tell anybody asking about surgery to do the research for themselves. Way the pro's and con's, be sure to find a competent surgeon and ASK QUESTIONS!!! Ask the surgeon questions, ask if they have a support group where you can talk to others who have had the surgery. You will want to talk with people that this surgeon has proformed surgery on. I would talk to more than one previous patient. Also know that there are risk, just as with any surgery, and many times obesity can also cause a host of other co-morbidities, such as sleep apnea, high blood pressure, congestive heart failure, just to name a few. I felt very comfortable with my choice in surgeon, he has had over 20 years of bariatric experience, and I was a nursing student at the time almost done with my nursing degree, so I felt I was able to do quality research and I understood the risks and benefits very well. I am a big advocate for gastric bypass, but only if the person knows exactly what they are getting into. It is a decision for life. Sorry it got so long, but I just get really passionate when I talk about this.

Becky

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-30-2005 - 7:21pm

Well Becky, It certainly sounds like it worked for you!

So you said you could only eat 3 oz at a time after surgery...How long has it been since your surgery?

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-31-2005 - 2:41am
I had my surgery a little over two years ago. I have lost 160lbs. At this point I can eat pretty much what I want. I can't eat as much as I did before my surgery, but I can eat a whole lot more than right after my surgery. I like to explain it like if I were to go to a buffet, which I don't anymore because it is a waste of money for me, but I can only eat like one plate now instead of like two plates and dessert. Or if I go to a nice resturant, if I order a salad with my meal, I can't finish my meal. I am the queen of doggy bags now. I do worry because I can eat so much. Also after my surgery I was told to limit myself to 5 grams of sugar per meal, if you look on labels, that is really hard to do. Many people have trouble with dumping syndrome after they have a RNY when they eat too much sugar, I didn't. I have no trouble with sugar, or any foods at all really. Except McDonalds, it kinda gets stuck when I eat it. That is the only place I have trouble with. About the hunger pangs, I was never hungry after my surgery for about a year. As time goes on it kinda feels like normal and you also learn how to out eat the pouch, which is not a good thing. Presurgical counselling is a good thing. I did go for an evaluation and should have scheduled some counselling at that time. I am actually in counselling now for eating/self-esteem issues with the weight loss. I was 360lbs at my heaviest, and I know that I thought, and I know other overweight women think if they just lose weight it will magically make all of their problems disappear. It doesn't. My weight right now goes between 194-200. I really wish I could get motivated to get myself on a diet and lose the rest of my weight. I don't want to be one of the statistics that regain after having so much success. Sorry this was so long, I hope I answered your questions. Please feel free to ask anything else. I promise I won't send you a book next time :) Becky
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-01-2005 - 5:33pm

Hi Becky

I dont know about anyone else, but a book is what I love to read..........lol

The more information and personal experience you can tell the better!

Ive always been curious about the after affects and how your eating is after such surgery

Keep the posts coming............very interesting!!

Also, do you have any before and after pics? I love those!

Have a good one,

Gayle

Have a good one,  

Gayle

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-02-2005 - 9:03am
Hi Gayle, I don't have any before pictures scanned into my computer. I will try to do that in the coming week if I get a chance. I'm going to be pretty busy the next few weeks. But I will be glad to tell you whatever I can. If you have any questions just post them and I will answer them. Becky
iVillage Member
Sun, 09-04-2005 - 7:15am

Thanks Becky

I look forward to the pics

Just post them when ya get a chance, I understand busy............lol

Have a good one,

Gayle

Have a good one,  

Gayle

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-09-2005 - 2:46am

Hi all,

I decided to get a site together with before and after pics for all to see. I will go through and answer any questions tomorrow. Thanks for the great board :^)!!!!

http://hometown.aol.com/wendilady325/bariatric.html

Wendi