Experiences

iVillage Member
Experiences
Mon, 09-26-2005 - 8:13pm

Anyone want to share their experiences with their WLS?

iVillage Member
In reply to: nrs_grl2005
Wed, 10-26-2005 - 1:51pm
I had open gastric bypass three years ago. I am thrilled that I have lost 150 pounds, but when asked if I recommend it. My answer is not unless you have done a lot of research and are sure you understand the risks and are sure you really want it. I spent the first three month after surgery literally starving because my surgeon made the opening to my intestine too small, then it developed scar tissue and swelling, which shut it off completely. Everytime I ate, even the simplest things (like water), I would throw it up almost immediately. I couldn't eat and I was starving. Everytime I called my doctor, he would tell me it was from swelling and that it would go down and everything would be fine soon. After three months I had to threaten a lawsuit on my doctor, to get him to order an endoscopy to be done. After undergoing the endoscopy and having the opening blown back open. It still took two months before I could eat somewhat more normally. My biggest thrill came though when I was 18 months out of surgery. I gave birth to a healthy baby girl, at 39 weeks. After giving birth almost 3 years earlier, to a preemie born at 28 weeks, due to preeclamsia and gestational diabetes, brought on by my weight. I was thrilled to have a completely uncomplicated pregnancy and delivery. So yes, gastric bypass has it's advantages, but only after a lot of research is done and all risks have been weighed.
iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2005 - 8:52am

I completely agree with the advice you gave.

iVillage Member
Thu, 10-27-2005 - 10:58pm

Hello,
My name is Stephanie, I am new here to this particular board. After 2 years of research, I had the Gastric Laproscopic surgery 2 weeks ago, 10-12-05. I am 35, female, 5'11 and started out at 330lbs. I have lost 25lbs, and I feel great. Not one time have a felt sick, thrown up, could not eat, felt tired, or even defeated. In fact, I have a surge of energy, sleep better than ever, can actually walk through a store without looking for a place to sit down. I was suprized to feel this great even though I still have over 100lbs to lose. My clothes are shrinking, and it is amazing. Would I reccommend this choice of life......ABSOLUTELY!! I have heard of the horror stories, however, I was up walking around, laughing with the staff at the hospital on the very day of surgery. The only bad part was the gas they fill you up with for the surgery. I had so much pressure, and was miserable trying to "get it out" the only thing that help was to walk. I am a tummy sleeper, and it took about 6 days before I could sleep on my tummy again. Other than that, I do not even feel like I had surgery. Would I do it again....in a heartbeat!

Stephanie

iVillage Member
Thu, 11-03-2005 - 1:40pm

Stephanie,

Welcome the board.

iVillage Member
Wed, 11-16-2005 - 3:13pm
Wow, Thank you Stephanie...how nice to hear a true positive experience!!
Pam
iVillage Member
Thu, 11-17-2005 - 7:15pm

What type of procedure did you have? Was it the Lap-Band? That is what I am considering right now. Also, what type of diet are you eating now? How long was your hospital stay?

Thanks,
Jennifer

iVillage Member
Sat, 11-19-2005 - 9:08pm

I had the LAP RNY which is the laproscopic surgery. I did great, no problems to this date. Currently, I am mostly on Protein Powder shakes. I do eat normal food, however, not that much of it. For example:

Breakfast-Protein shake
Snack-2 cubes of cheddar cheese
Lunch-Any kind of soup I want
Snack-Protein shake
Dinner-Shredded meat, vegatable

I have lost 37lbs to this date.
I have not exercised yet because I am afraid to pull something on the inside. The weight is just melting off.

I was in the hospital for 2 1/2 days.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Stephanie