caregiver in tough situation.....

Visitor (not verified)
anonymous user
Sun, 07-01-2001 - 12:41am

Hi I am new to this board. I am in a very delicate situation right now...you see, I am a babysitter to two very cute little boys ages one and two (both brothers). I have three of my own young children. My problem is this, I am very sure that the 2 year old has autism. He doesnt talk just kinda yells and grunts things, he will not play with the other children in t he house, he would rather sit in my daughters closet or open and close a box. He will not feed himself. He throws temper tamtrums for no reason. He spends a good part of the day turning the door knobs or opening and closing the bathroom door. NO EYECONTACT...and when he does make eye contact, its as if he is like staring at my eyes but not really looking at me. And he like starts laughing wildly for no reason or he starts grinning at the walls and the ceiling or at an object.If some one walks into my house he screams yells arches his back. His one year old brother plays and talks more than he does. My problem is his mother. She is a teacher and thinks that he son might have a learning disability but seems to think that the majority of his symptoms are just normal just some what delayed. I have come to realize over the past few months that this mom is in denial. Now how do I say I think your son might have autism without her getting insulted. I have thrown little hints like, he will not play with the kids he would much rather be alone and i just told her yesterday that I was very concerned about him not making eye contact with me or anyone. She doesnt really say anything but just.."oh I know he gets me so mad when he wont look at me" It's like this "teacher" has never heard of autism or she is really in complete denial. If he does have autism he deserves to go into some early intervention...I just don't know how to kindly tell his mother that he might have autism. I am so sorry that this is so long...any replys will be so helpful.

Thanks Gina