Update on my weird, scary pain

iVillage Member
Update on my weird, scary pain
Thu, 08-19-2004 - 10:38am
Hi everyone,

I went to my osteopath this morning, and a few days ago I sent over an MRI of my back that I had in 2002, just in case it might help him to figure out what's up with the increase in pain I've been having. Turns out that I have degeneration and arthritis in L4-L5...and that's the reason for the pain radiating to my ribs! The doc gave me a stronger pain medication with less Tylenol (so I feel better about taking it and don't worry all the time that my liver is going to explode) and I'm trying Vioxx too, to help with the inflammation. Also, I'm to go to PT 4 times, then continue the exercises at home.

I'm kind of confused because I had the MRI done 2 years ago by my chripractor, but he never mentioned anything about degeneration or arthritis, and he didn't change the course of treatment either. I'm trying to be positive and give the chiro 'benefit of the doubt', but I'm beginning to wonder if some of the docs I've been to are just clueless and shouldn't have a license to practice medicine!

Can anyone help me to understand why the chiro didn't tell me what was going on and didn't treat it either? Is it because of my age (I was 26 when the MRI was done - 28 now)? What do you guys think?

I hope your backs are doing well today! :o)

Ginny

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-23-2004 - 8:31pm
Well Ginny, I can tell you that sometimes doctors are just not very well experienced in certain areas of illness/injury. I had a MRI in March, and gee, the radiologist who read it misinterpreted where my surgery was at. Then the place never even sent a copy of the test or it's results to my doctor who ordered it! Go figure. I would suspect that the doctor may very well of figured that due to your age, there was not much to be done for you that would not likely just caused you more trouble. Hope you get help with it now though! lori
MICRONURSE NICU R.N
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2004 - 11:09am
Ginny, my MRI said the same thing...but I was told it was nothing to worry about. It just happens as we get older. I am wondering what did your doctor say? Maybe that is why I am in so much pain. They keep telling me that is not my problem.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-24-2004 - 12:21pm
The chiropractor didn't say anything about it, but the osteopath told me that the Vioxx should help. So far it seems to be helping quite a bit!

I also started PT today. Unfortunately, I lost my job last week, and my insurance only goes through the end of this month. I've scheduled my 4 prescribed visits between now and then, and they've already given me stretching exercises to do at home. They also put a TENS-type unit on me today with a heating pad and did some adjustments. My back sounded like popcorn. :oP

In my evaluation at PT, they told me that my posture needs some work, I had a lot of knots in my back, and once the muscles in my back are not all knotted up and gain some strength I should be in less pain. I think the tight muscles helps to pull my back out of alignment. I'm optimistic about it, because I already have some relief from the pain! I'll keep you updated - maybe PT is an option for you too.

Take care,

Ginny

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-25-2004 - 9:25am
Thanks Ginny.. I have been in PT since beginning of July. I was doing very well...working out on machines to build my muscles so I could return to work. I guess I did something wrong and re-injured my back. It is worse now than before. I cant believe the amount of pain. I am going to try a alternative....massage, neuro-link, intergrated bodywork Thurs. Hope something helps. Today I am going back to PT and have the Electrode treatment. I understand where you are coming from... I wish you all the luck!!