Your favorite kind of read?

iVillage Member
Your favorite kind of read?
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 2:57pm

According the the Associated Press, romance novels are thriving in these touch economic times, as women need an inexpensive and uplifting break from life.

Do you stick to one specific type of book or do you find more pleasure in a variety?

I find myself escaping into books of all genre; I don't really favor one over the other. A good book totally engrosses me; I get lost in the place, time and events more than I ever could in a movie.

CMBren
Sr. Community Moderator
Beauty & Style, Entertainment & Main
Email | iVillage.com
Beauty & Style Boards | Entertainment Boards | Main Boards
About our Boards | Customer Support | Tech Update

Pages

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 3:18pm
I'm the same way. While romance books are not necessarily my go-to genre, I can say I've read some really great romance novels and some really lousy mysteries (my usual go-to genre). I'll even admit that there have been some classics that I just couldn't finish because the writer could not keep my attention or make me care about the characters. In my opinion, if a writer can draw in his or her audience, keep them reading and interested, then the genre shouldn't necessarily matter.

Photobucket
  "Aut dosce, aut disce, aut discede"
iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 6:19pm

I'll read anything but I love historical fiction, mystery and suspense, horror and sci fi.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 6:50pm

My "go-to genres," love that phrase Ms. M (and your Rockwell picture) are science fiction and fantasy, but I'd like to think I'll read just about anything.

My last book Dramarama by E. Lockhart was a sweet little YA book about kids at Drama Camp.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-03-2009 - 9:08pm

I tend to read a variety of genres. My favourite would probably be mystery and I do love to sink my teeth into a "big" book. My least favourite genres would be fantasy and I can't remember the last time that I read the synopsis of a science fiction book that remotely interested me.

Kathie

Kathie

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 12:34pm

"I'll even admit that there have been some classics that I just couldn't finish because the writer could not keep my attention or make me care about the characters."

So true! There are still too many good books still left to be read for me to try to trudge through a book simply because it's a classic. If a writer can't make me care about the characters, it's just not a book for me.

CMBren
Sr. Community Moderator
Email | iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 12:38pm
LOL...I read anything, too. No sense in limiting myself when there's such a variety. ;-)

CMBren
Sr. Community Moderator
Email | iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 12:51pm

I have a request in at my library for The Lace Reader. I should be getting a call soon, I hope! LOL

I just finished a great fantasy book; The Name of the Wind, by Patrick Rothfuss. ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 1:00pm

I had to chuckle at your "big" books mention. My dh swears I pick out books by the inch; according to his observations, anything less than an inch thick, I pass on. That's so not true; he just doesn't understand that a good story is one you don't want to end. ;-)

CMBren
Sr. Community Moderator
Email | iVillage.com

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 1:36pm

I would say my go-to genre is mystery because I probably read it most often. However, I'm another one that tries to read a variety.

I have to agree with the original post about romance novels thriving during these tough times. I tend to gravitate towards romances when I'm in a bad mood because I want the happy ending.

I enjoy historical fiction, young adult books, regular fiction...it all depends on my mood. I also intersperse my other reading with some classics. I will end up reading more of those soon since I am about to start my first job as an English teacher this fall.

Robin

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-04-2009 - 4:20pm

I enjoy romantic suspense, fantasy ...Lord of the Rings type and Dresden Files type.

Pages