Best and Worst of the Summer

iVillage Member
Best and Worst of the Summer
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 11:23am

I was curious to hear what people thought were the best and worst books that they had read this summer.

I think my favorite Non-fiction read had to be The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot. I think this is actually my overall fave of the summer as well. I recommend this book to people even if they don't usually read Non-Ficiton. You will be surprised by a lot of what you read . . .

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 12:44pm

i think my favorites would be double minds by terri blackstock and the inn at angel island by thomas kinkade and katherine spencer.
don't really have one that i didn't care for.

i have seen the girl with the dragon tattoo at the store but have not picked it up.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 2:10pm

My favorites of the summer would be The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest and Sworn To Silence by Linda Castillo. I'm reading her 2nd book now and it's good too. I'm also reading The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom and it's also really good.

The only book that I wasn't fond of this summer was Speak by Laurie Halso Anderson.

I've heard such good things about Henrietta Lacks that I'm looking forward to reading it.

Kathie

Photobucket

Kathie

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 3:32pm

I just got Sworn to Silence from Bookcloseouts!

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 3:37pm

My best reads for the summer Frostbitten by Kelley Armstrong, Written in Bone by Simon Beckett, and The Concubine by Norah Lofts.

My worst reads were The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, and The Living Dead (which I still haven't finished -- it's supposed to be short stories about zombies, but they're not!).

Jenn

iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 6:46pm
My favorite read for the summer was The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I really haven't read a book lately that I didn't like.
iVillage Member
Thu, 09-02-2010 - 8:23pm

i read linda castillo's books and enjoyed them.

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 9:33am

So did you think that the Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest was better than the first two? I just read Dragon last week, and although it is not my usual type of read, I did thorougly enjoy it. I read it, while on vacation with the family, in two days!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 9:41am

I really enjoyed the Historian as well. Although at times a laborious read, I could not believe the scope of the novel. I am very impressed by Kostova's knowledge and ability to weave the three narratives together so well. It was the kind of read that lead me almost believing in vampires (reminiscent of how I felt when I read The Davinci Code and swore that everything printed in the book had to be true)!

iVillage Member
Fri, 09-03-2010 - 12:07pm

I think that The Girl Who Played With Fire

Kathie

iVillage Member
Sun, 09-05-2010 - 4:36pm

I didn't read half as much as I usually do this summer. I got into a couple of computer games and wasted a lot of time playing instead.
I liked all the books I did read though. I think Dan Brown's Digital Fortress was my favorite, though.

Bev