I got a wake up call

iVillage Member
I got a wake up call
Sun, 06-11-2006 - 11:16am

I logged on to one of the newspapers I read online, and my eyes immediately caught sight of an article. At first I couldn't really figure out why I needed to click on the link and read it, but a faint bell started to ring. It was a book review, and the book that was being reviewed was written by... and old acquaintance of mine!

It made me very happy and very proud of him. He had a dream, and he did it. He lived it, he wrote about it and now he's sharing it with us (and he's got a second book in the works, too). You can't but respect a person who has followed his or her dreams, whether it's a big one or a small one.

But this was also a wake up call for me, to put it nicely (my original line of thinking was more towards a kick in the behind).

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-11-2006 - 12:53pm

Hi Poppy, and I think that is a wonderful story. You are so right that sometimes the anticipation of making that leap is terrifying, but it would be worse to not even give it a go. It is only a failure of nothing is learned from it ( or any attempt) but you know that.

I hope your stuff arrives quickly, and that you get to work ASAP, with tranquility and peace in your heart - those can only spill over into your work.

In the midst of a lot of stress, confusion, and frustration last week, I took myself in hand, made myself leave everything that was not done, undone, and went for a long walk to a park I know of. There is a lily pond there, and I had in intense need to see it, and take some photos. I bought some lunch along the way, and sat in the park, waiting for the different lighting levels to change. I spent several hours there, moving around the pond, catching the lilies from different angles and seeing them as the light changed. I took one roll of film, and most of another. WHen the second one is done, I will develop them, and see what is there, if it corresponds to what I remember, and what I was feeling at the time.

I still don't have a darkroom to print in, but it should come soon, and can at least develop my films at home.

But it was like a wake up call in a way for me, to just get out and shoot some film, and get back into the swing of things again.

Sorry if I've been long winded, but what you wrote just struck a real chord with me. :-)

<<<<<<>>>>>>

nenu

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-11-2006 - 1:53pm
(((((Poppy))))), how wonderful!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v254/ladybug987/Signatures/springbutterflybarb.jpg>

CL-ladybug987

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-11-2006 - 8:07pm

Congrats, Poppy, on sharing someone else's joy and using that joy to spur yourself on. Someone with a negative view of life might begrudge the acquaintance their friend's success as an excuse as to why they haven't reached their own goal.

I worked hard on my goal a couple of years ago of becoming a tv script writer. It hasn't worked out yet and I have shifted my goals for now. I realized life was taking me in a different path that was happy and fulfilling. I don't feel defeated, I'm proud I tried so hard for it and did well at my efforts.

I applaud you for pursuing your dream and I look forward to reading about your journey. Keep us posted!

Carolyn

Cl- Somersizing Diet and Fitness Message Board http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-fbsomer

Carolyn Don't Count the Days Make the Days Count! By Sis
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-11-2006 - 9:25pm

Oh, Poppy I wish you the best of success in your new venture.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 2:59am

Poppy you have me smiling here, I am so excited for you.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 3:04am
Nenu, what an awesome story, thank you for sharing, I am smiling all over the place on this puter, one post after another.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 3:11am

"And the day came when the risk to remain tight in

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 12:55pm

((((((((((Nenu))))))))))

Reading your post brought a warm smile to my lips, Nenu. You sounded so... content and happy that you'd gone to the park, and done a meditation on your own feelings through observing the lilies, the lighting and capturing this all through your photography.

Would you share your photos one day with us? I have a feeling many of our friends here are artistic in many ways. Perhaps we ought to have an Artists' Corner? Hmmm...

A bientot, Nenu!

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 1:09pm

Oh yes, Barb, definitely! I have a couple of other projects in mind, a sort of real life Finding Your Best Life, but through different avenues and for a more specific set of people. I have to sit down right now and think, write a lot, meet some people, throw out ideas and see what feedback I receive. It might take time to make these ones happen, but it'll be worth it. It's worth at least a serious try.

The jewellery design will be my own personal little baby. Something to keep me grounded and sane, to allow me to create and express what's in me, something to nourish my soul.

I believe that certain things happen for a reason. I also believe in recycling our experiences, especially our most difficult ones, and turning them into something that might benefit others :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-12-2006 - 1:18pm

Thank you, Carolyn!

It's difficult to begrudge success when someone has put so much effort, thought and heart into their work. Yes, sometimes I feel envy, but my respect for all the work they've done outweighs anything else. Plus, I'm proud of my friends!

Wow... TV script writing! I'm proud that you tried, too because I know how difficult and competitive it is (I've got friends who either are or were in the business, or trying to get into it). The only defeat is if we hadn't tried at all, or if we hadn't given our all. I know that something is going to blossom out of this, Carolyn and it will be very interesting to see what will unfold for you.

Let's keep each other posted! Hey - you are a pisces, too, I see :-) :-) :-)

Pages