I am terrified

iVillage Member
I am terrified
Tue, 06-13-2006 - 12:28pm

I love to draw, especially faces. The expression in the eyes of the picture

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-13-2006 - 2:54pm

My SIL recently started doing sculptures and her first showing was part of a local gallery charity event. She donated the sales of her pieces at that show to charity...by doing that she got her name and pictures of her pieces in the local paper and got great publicity out of the deal.

I'm not sure how big the town is where you live (my SIL's is pretty small), but I'd start out by locating a local art guild or gallery and do some inquiries about how local artists can get their work showcased. Can't hurt to make some phone calls, right?

CC

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 8:21am

Join an art group? A friend of mine was part of a group that met once a week or once every two weeks to paint. They would do a group exhibition and charity silent auction once a year.

There are restaurants and cafes that display rotating artwork. If you put together a portfolio of your art, you can take these and show them to the managers. Some restaurants don't charge anything. Some do. Some will take a commission if you sell something. Formulas differ.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 11:59am
Thanks gals! I wouldn't have thought those ideas on my own... I am not business oriented at all, lol.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 12:27pm

<>

Oh yeah...I didn't think of that...we have a ton of small restaurants here that do that!

CC

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 12:55pm
There are also a lot of print and online publications that take artwork. They put pictures to poems and stories and do features on artists. www.tryst3.com and www.unlikelystories.org are two that I just found in my list of "places to submit to sometime"...

Be the change you want to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandhi

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 4:02pm

... look into getting a booth at local art fairs, craft fairs, county fairs, any street type fairs in your area

... enter juried shows all over, don't get discouraged, it's usually not easy but it gets your work out there

... join art organizations, find an organization for your art by medium or subject, etc. For example if you work in pastels, join pastel artist organizations, or at least check out their local chapter in your area, most of them list shows and have competitions

... check out local art/craft shops to see if they will sell your work. Finding a following will really help you with getting your own show. Check out local museums and see if they have any shows for something that you qualify for (again, some museums will do a show of local artist using different requirements, for example an all woman's show or all watercolor or all portraits, etc.)

... volunteer to hang your art in a local charity office, battered woman's shelter, hospital waiting room, Ronald McDonald house, local government building, hospitality rooms at a hospital. Some organizations will accept your art with a small info tag on the frame

... and avoid joining or listening to any organization that tries to talk you out of it because it's hard and there are a lot of people trying to get into the field. It's totally bogus! If your work comes from you and you like it, it's as good as anything else out there! You'll find an audience. People that try to warn you off are scared for their own work.

Click to visit Pagan Paths!My second favorite household chore is ironing. My first being
hitting my head on the top bunk bed until I faint. - Erma BombeckClick to visit Housewives Club!
Photobucket
iVillage Member
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 11:44pm

• If your work comes from you and you like it, it's as good as anything else out there! You'll find an audience. People that try to warn you off are scared for their own work.

That's a very good advice and very, very true!