Thank You Cookingchick!

iVillage Member
Thank You Cookingchick!
Tue, 06-13-2006 - 8:55pm

Cookingchick posted this question to me on another thread and I think it is an excellent question for everyone to consider and respond to.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 8:56am

This is a good question...

... and I'm probably not the one most qualified to answer.

I think that it comes back to what we were discussing on another thread - boundaries. Work and obligations will never have an ending unless we put in place some boundaries and say - this is enough for today. Now I have to dedicate my time to my personal obligations and interests.

iVillage Member
Wed, 06-14-2006 - 12:37pm

Gosh...you're welcome!

As I said in my reply to you in the other thread, one thing that I do is make sure I never schedule both days of the weekend for activities with other people. I may do something on Friday night with friends and then help out my parents or my MIL on Saturday but then Sunday is for me...either alone or doing something fun with DH.

I'm almost 49 and it took me the better part of 20 years to be able to be comfortable saying no. I was a people pleaser in my youth and it caused great personal distress to me so gaining the strength and confidence to say no and stick to my guns was a very important step in moving toward finding my best life.

CC

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 5:25am

''What's your strategy for maintaining a good balance between obligations and private time?''

Recognition of the importance for private time and that it is as valuable if not more so than duties and responsibilities for me.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 1:11pm

I dont have one, & it's something i need to learn to do.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 12:44am

Finding your best life sometimes means recognizing the things that don't work or are not productive and then doing something about them.

Judy

cl-ivhjude