What is your purpose in life?

iVillage Member
What is your purpose in life?
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 5:51am

musher50 in another thread posted a comment about the purpose for being.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

Pages

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 6:34am

As someone who does not have a child, I admire parents who put in all that love, time and energy in bringing up their children. It's not an easy job at all. It's probably one of the most beautiful and rewarding purposes and responsibility to have in life.

I, too, feel that you will be a very good person to help others who have lost their life partners. You are a very calming and soothing presence. I bet you are a good listener, too.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 6:38am

Love that: live with no regrets and never miss an opportunity to learn something.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 6:47am

I think so too but there are fewer and fewer parents doing it these days.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 7:00am

Being a good parents, nurturing and guiding your children to be good persons of their own, and to have them find their respective paths - that's a huge life purpose, Ludam. Not only that, but that is probably one of the life purposes that will change the world, one person at a time. Mothers are powerful. It is through them that many traditions, thoughts, values are transmitted and/or changed.

Not everybody can be Mother Teresa, Ludam. But there is the ripple effect. So we start with ourselves and our family, and it ripples out to those who are closest to us.

The world does need people who do things on a big scale. But it desperately needs those who make a difference in little ways, every day. Not every one can be generals. Bill and Melinda Gates have the money fund their foundations - but it's those who receive the money and who do something useful with it that make the day-to-day changes. If there weren't any health workers to vaccinate the kids, we could have all the money in the world and children would still be dying of infectious diseases. If there weren't teachers to teach our children, where would they be? If there weren't anyone to whisk away our garbage, how would our neighbourhoods stay clean and healthy? It might not be work that anyone aspires to, but in my eyes, they do good, useful and essential work.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 9:06am

Poppy, Judy, now you've done it again - you've made me cry.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 9:37am

Hi Roxy Lee!

Welcome to our community :-)

Congratulations on following your path and arriving at the right job for you. Doesn't it feel really nice when everything just comes together like that, in both our private life and work life? Yay Roxy!

What do you mean that we only have shot at life? Do you not think that we sometimes get opportunities to fix our mistakes and that we often get a second or even third and fourth chance to change or improve our lives? I do agree that we have to enjoy our lives and have fun!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 9:40am

You are a very special mom.

Yes, I know what you mean about more parents doing less. It's very unfortunate and sad, and everybody misses out - the kids, the parents, the community.

I know that you will help others. As I said, you have a very nice. calm and soothing presence. Just being near you will be of help. That fact that you know how to listen, and that you can relate and share your own experiences will make you a great counsellor.

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 10:15am

I hope that this is a good kind of crying, the kind where you let go of the tension inside of you. The kind that leaves you feeling lighter because you've washed some of the burdens away with your tears.

((((((((((Ludam))))))))))

Every time you post something on your boards, it already puts some meaning to your day, Ludam. I think you are not giving yourself enough credit. You are a good person. You are a good mom. You are a very good and supportive CL.

Come sit next to me. Let's think of things that'll make you laugh or at least smile. It's the end of the week, and we all need to end the week with a laugh or a giggle. If you think of something - even silly posts - start a new thread!

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 12:03pm
Wow!! Is this kismet, or what!!? Just left a thread on Refuge (35) where I responded to your post and this one jumped out at me. When I saw the author, it just felt like kindred spirits... I too find joy in helping others. Several years ago I worked in a Retirement Community in the Nursing Unit where I got so much fulfillment out of maybe making someone's life a little more comfortable and dignified. Unfortunately, the management.. supervisory styles was too damaging for me to stay. Growing up I felt it was my mission in life to protect children from damage, abuse but I didn't know how... other than watching, seeing, observing. I guess the insides of me hurt so much I didn't want anyone else to experience that pain. I don't know if I succeeded in my mission, my passion but I do try to offer compassion and encouragement where I can. I am sorry for your recent loss and I don't know if it helps or seems arrogant but I have found the dear people in my family that I have lost are in my heart. They communicate their presence at the most unexpected moments. Hope you find healing at the M.V. and the ocean. aurora
iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 1:49pm

Oh, by all means, please use it. I'd be thrilled if more people I know would embrace that concept!

CC

Pages