What is your purpose in life?

iVillage Member
What is your purpose in life?
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 5:51am

musher50 in another thread posted a comment about the purpose for being.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

Pages

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 2:05pm
OK, I'm with Ludam -- bring on the kleenex.

Molly

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 1:10am

I am the jack of all trades,master of none.There have
been many jobs in my life.I never chose a career,b/c
I married young,and never really wanted one.
It wasn't until I became a homemaker with the elderly
that I found something I knew was right.When the agency
I worked with folded,the person I was working with asked
me to stay on with her,which I did.We became very close
during the many, many years I was there,and when she
passed away I was devastated.It took me a long time to
heal,and I never wanted to go through that again.I tried
other jobs, but they were meaningless,and just a paycheck.
Now when I think back about my time with my senior,I can
smile.She lived alone and had no family nearby I filled
a void for her,and she was wise and worldly,which filled
me with some of her wisdom.I doubt there is a job on this
earth that would complete me as this did,that's why I will
find a senior to work with,so I can live with purpose.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 1:17am

I don't know what my purpose is but it isn't grandiose, as I thought it must be when I was younger.

So right now I do what is in front of me.

~Diana~

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 4:25am
Ya gotta be in awe of how life just puts things into our lives and they become life changing.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 4:28am

''So right now I do what is in front of me.''

That is something I admire in a person, when something is placed in front of you and you take it and make steak out of meatloaf :)

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 5:14am

Hi,

For me, there are two purposes in life no matter what the stage: 1) to learn as much as possible and 2) to help others as much as possible but WITHOUT sacrificing too much of yourself. Of course, sacrifices can be made for family but not to the point where you lose yourself...how much of a help can you be to someone if you've overextended yourself?

Sara

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 5:47am

Hi Sara nice to meet you and so glad you are here with us today :)

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 9:46am

You are so very right, Ribbit - the best parts of ourselves are perfect already. If only we would accept this perfectness in us for what it is, and appreciate its worth, instead of having to downplay it or say it isn't so because we've been taught to be modest or because other people would rather point at our warts and hurt us with their comments.

"The best parts of me are perfect already." ---> isn't that a beautiful affirmation?

Thank you, Ribbit!

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 9:56am

Moll,

As Ribbit said, the best parts of yourself are perfect already. And I know that there are so many very good and special things about you, just from what I've seen here and there. I am more than sure that as we get to know each other even more, my list of "the best things about Molly" will only grow and grow and grow.

I believe that we achieve a perfect life once in a while, for a few moments each time. For the past few hours, my life has been perfect. Why? Because despite all that is not perfect right now in my life, I'm happy, smiling, hopeful, and optimist. I've had a very good day. I'm looking forward to tomorrow. I'm relatively healthy. The acupuncturist said that I have a lot of fat on my tummy, but who cares? We're all a work in progress and that's what's so wonderful about life - we have the chance to move on, to progress, to get to a different space.

I'm starting to ramble here, but you know what I'm trying to say.

Hugs,

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 10:08am

Oh Musher!

I am not quite sure that you are not a master in something. Being able to take care of another person, and making a positive difference in that person's life is a gift that not a lot of people have, especially when the person is elderly. Being open to another person's wisdom, and being able to learn from them is another gift.

I don't know how your future will unfold, Musher, but I think that you are on the right path. I think that one day soon, you will meet the person with whom you are supposed to work and walk with at this time in your life. Why do I think this way? Because you are already open to this, because you've already opened the window and called out for it. Soon you'll be walking out the door, and walking towards your meeting point if you aren't doing so already.

Pages