What is your purpose in life?

iVillage Member
What is your purpose in life?
Thu, 06-15-2006 - 5:51am

musher50 in another thread posted a comment about the purpose for being.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

Pages

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 10:15am

You do realize that the only way we can achieve our purposes in life is to do what is in front of us???

When I used to be in PR and was interviewing people to become my assistant, a lot of them came in because they were attracted to the glamour and prestige of the job. They didn't quite realize that for each minute of glamour, for each photo in the newspaper, for each TV coverage it would take hours of hard, unglamourous and often very boring work. But it's something that we had to do, because that was what was in front of us. We had to get these things out of the way in order to get to the party ;-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 10:20am

Welcome to our community, Sara!

Yep yep yep yep yep... you are right. Learning is an essential part of life and living, and you can't give to the point of sacrifice or to the point of losing sight of yourself. Both are unhealthy, and both lead to a breakdown in health and of emotions.

I am so glad that you are here, and I hope to get to know you better :-)

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 1:29pm
Yes, I agree. Let them flow. One of my counselors told me tears actually release toxins from our bodies in addition to releasing tension. So you are doing a good thing for you and your body!!
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 1:51pm

Thank You Poppy& Judy,your answers are always so
uplifting and positive.I think you are right that
my new senior to work with is very nearby.Yesterday,
when I was in the supermarket,I ran into this sweet
little old woman that I often saw at my previous job.
My inner voice screamed to give her my number and tell
her of my search for a senior who needs help,thinking
she would know of someone looking for a homemaker,she
laughed and said at her age she needed help.I don't
know if it will be her I work with,but thinking back
of the many times we crossed paths tells me she will
play a part in my search.Poppy,you are so right about
opening the door,and sending ones thoughts out into the
universe.Dr.Wayne Dyer did a seminar on this subject on
a pbs special.I believe he said our thoughts are energy,
and that if we send them out into the universe,and our
belief system and connection to source(God) is strong
enough,these thoughts can manifest into existence.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 4:32pm
Poppy responded to you so beautifully that there is nothing I could possibly add musher.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 9:22pm
Sara, I could relate to both of your purposes in life. The learning as much as possible -- is that a focused thing or more general for you? I find that I get interested in a topic -- could be anything -- and then I want to learn as much as I can about it. I read and study and maybe even take classes. However, my general knowledge of stuff is pretty awful at times because the opposite is also true. If I'm not particularly interested in something, I retain nothing.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 9:04am

I am so excited for you, Musher! I can't wait to see what the future unfolds for you. One of the loveliest things in life is to travel on the river of serendipity on a boat named Faith and Trust.

I believe very much in sending out thoughts to the universe, and letting it sort things out to me. It's something that I've always done since I was a child, but I also say a prayer asking that only things that are good for me and those I love be granted (we do have to be careful what we wish for!). When I was 13, my mother took me to the island of Bali for the first of our mother-daughter vacations. I fell in love with the island, and told myself that later on, I would have to come back and work there for a few years, most probably in tourism. At uni, my major was far from anything that had to do with tourism or marketing or communications but fifteen years later the human resources director of a huge new resort called me to ask whether I'd be interested in joining their team as their PR Manager :-)

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 10:55am

"you don't give yourself enough credit for who and what you are."

Ain't that the truth. So many of us see ourselves with narrow, judgmental eyes. We women, as a sex, are so tough, critical and unforgiving of ourselves. And, we often don't believe the praise and encouragement we receive from others or from each other. We have got to stop that!! :-}

So Molly, I am new and don't know you well but... I sense you are a sweet, caring and beautiful woman. You do not have to be perfect, it is true. You are not marred or lacking, either. You are who you were meant to be. All any one of us can do or be is the best we can be. And, as someone else posted, perhaps you are perfect in being the best you can be. We are always the last to see ourselves as others see us and often never see ourselves as we really are. So give yourself a hug and be yourself.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 11:00am

and make steak out of meatloaf :)

LOL!!! I love that image. I have never heard it before. I hope I remember it and most of all, get a chance to use it.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 11:13am
No, I don't think you were rambling. I drank up every word. I think we all thirst for happy, positive people. We enjoy being around them, near them. We almost need to hear that more than any kind of advice one could offer. imho.. I also believe that when we are ready to heal, get on with life and let go of the past ... to be the best that we can be; we need to shed the negativity, the dwelling in the pain, ours and others and be happy. Surround ourselves with positive, affirming people. So, I for one, opinionated as I am, thank you for sharing your optimistic mood!!

Pages