Honouring the men in our lives

iVillage Member
Honouring the men in our lives
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 7:34am

Sunday is Father's Day, usually the day that we honour the fathers in our lives. But not all men are fathers, and we feel that they need to be honoured too, whether they are our life partners, our dads, our brothers, our sons or

iVillage Member
Fri, 06-16-2006 - 2:50pm

DH is the most special man in my life. He's given me my wings and supported me in my pursuit of self fulfillment. Father's Day is a little tough for him...he lost his dad about 20 years ago and, unfortunately, we were not able to have children so he's not a dad either. So, even though I give him special attention all the time, I give him extra on Father's Day. This year I'm making him a special breakfast and then we're spending the day at the beach.

My father is the #2 guy...he was a very stern disciplinarian (military) when I was growing up but gave me a sense of responsibility and a work ethic that have kept me grounded lo these many years. Now that he's almost 85, he's a teddy bear and my favorite thing to do is pet him on his head...something I never would have done in my youth...LOL. This year he's a little on the depressed side. He and my mom are moving out of their house and into a retirement community next week and he's having a bit of a hard time with it...as is natural. My sister is flying in on Sunday for a week to help with the move so I'm cooking dinner on Father's Day and bringing it over to Mom & Dad's for a family dinner...they don't happen very often with our family scattered around.

I have my work cut out for me this year, I guess! Good thing I love to cook.

CC

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 2:49am

My DH,because we have been together since we
were teens,can't remember my life without him.
He knows me so well,and lets me be me,crazy
ways and all.
My DS because he can always make me laugh.
My brother,because he was always my protector,
when we were kids,and we always had a lot of
fun together.
iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 3:47am

My DH is my #1 man.

Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 5:06am

The most significant male in my life right now is Trystan who is 4 months old.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 5:10am
CC how blessed you are with two wonderful men in your life.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 5:14am
musher your men sound like strength/safety and laughter/fun for you and that has to feel good.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 5:18am
Rebecca thanks for sharing the men in your life.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 6:41am
bumping up for Father's Day and for everyone who is celebrating it today, have a wonderful Father's Day :)

Judy

cl-ivhjude
Living with Cancer
Cancer: Friends & Family Support
Finding Your Best Life

"With understanding, fear diminishes;
in the

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 12:12pm

The men in my life are...

~ my father. He became a father at a relatively late age - 42. All his friends had had several children by the time I was born. By the time my youngest brother was born 8 years later, some of his friends had begun to have grandchildren. He is such a great dad, though, and we each have our special memories with him - from playing music to making rockets, to our trips to the restaurant with him (I went to lunches with him, my brother had breakfast at the nearby diner, and as a child my youngest brother was my dad's shadow). He's a workaholic who loves and excells at his work, but he always made time for us. He's the one who would stay up half the night when I was ill, making sure that I was okay. He's the one who tutored me the year I skipped a grade and had to catch up on 7 months worth of classes and learn a new language to boot! He believes in his children, and he loves us with all his being. He's a good person, kind, patient, gentle, just. He has great intuition.

~ my brothers. So they declared mutiny a bit too early for my taste, but they have absolutely wowed me in these past years. Who would ever thought that the brother who once declared that if I ever had a brat as a child, he'd tie the kid up and leave him in the broom closet, would be such a great father and wonderful husband? And the one who was such a PITA little bro would turn out to be a very gentle and caring man? We aren't close in the sense that we are often not in contact with each other, but I know that they love me, and that if I asked for support, they'd be there and give it before I even finished asking.

~ my nephews - both the one who is mine by blood and the ones who are mine because we chose so. They are each very special and unique. They each bring me a lot of happiness. They see me as an aunt, an adult, the sister of his father, or the best friend of their mother, but also as a friend. And that's the way I see them, too. They've taught me a lot of things - about dinosaurs, volcanoes, Batman, tornadoes, candles, Star Wars, soccer, temper tantrums, perseverance, the power of hugs and love.

~ some of my boy friends and (ex) boyfriends. They are special souls, who were there for me even though at times they weren't sure how they were supposed to be supportive. Bless you for taking that extra step, and for patiently listening to me whilst squirming on the sofa when some opted to bolt out of my life. And thank you for making me laugh, and for making me feel so loved.