Detox?

iVillage Member
Detox?
Sat, 06-17-2006 - 11:04pm

Hi everyone,

I just found this board and it looks really exciting. BTW, hi Poppy!

I'm curious to know, does anyone have a good detox plan? I'd love to find something that doesn't rip everything out of your diet all at once. Do you know of a plan that weans you off different foods?

**Thanks!**

Gail
**gentle hugs**

iVillage Member
In reply to: opal45
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 6:17am
Hi Gail and welcome to the board.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 10:32am

Hello Gail!

It's so nice to see you again, and on this board :-)

I don't know any detox diets either. The last time I went on a detox was years ago. I think the first week we had to cut out... hmmm.... salt, sugar, caffeine, meat. Something like that. Plus had to take some foul tasting powder. My friends raved that they had more energy, lost some weight, felt lighter, etc. I just felt unhappy, didn't lose weight, didn't see any improvements in anything, and actually was very tired at the end.

What if you cut out one thing at a time, and gradually replace any white items with whole grain ones? Right now if I want to feel lighter I'll reduce sugary intakes from carbs (rice, bread, potatoes), increase vegetables and fruits (I'm a bad fruit eater and I actually need to eat more of it), try to eat more fish and less beef or poultry, and cook lighter. I make sure that I drink enough, and that I exercise more, too.

Use your intuition - everyday, ask your body what it needs. If you are really listening to your body, it'll tell you.

iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 9:36pm
Hey Gail -- I did a detox once, but it was definitely a "rip everything out at once" kind of thing. Plus a lot of other stuff, too. To be honest, I don't know if it helped or not. It was a pain to do but I did feel good about having done it just because there was a real sense of accomplishment.
iVillage Member
Sun, 06-18-2006 - 9:43pm

<< Use your intuition - everyday, ask your body what it needs. If you are really listening to your body, it'll tell you. >>

Poppy, I so agree with this. I have a huge Diet Coke addiction. It's a comfort food for me and I drink it from morning to night. It's my version of water. When I first started seeing the kinesologist I'm seeing now, she had me fill out a questionnarie so I listed how many Diet Cokes I drink in a day. She was pretty horrified by it and I said, "I know, I know . . . if I need to give them up, I will, but it seems like they're such an important source of nurturance for me that my body has adjusted to be ok with them." She did the entire test and was totally amazed that sure enough, my body was just fine with the Diet Cokes. And the chocolate. We won't even discuss the chocolate. ; )

My sense is that the important thing is finding the best balance for our lives -- and sometimes that doesn't always look the way we would expect it to look.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 6:08am

''My sense is that the important thing is finding the best balance for our lives -- and sometimes that doesn't always look the way we would expect it to look.''

I could not agree more with this statement ribbit.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 9:40am

Have you heard of Fat Flush? It's a detox, it's a weight loss plan. If you do the pre-flush, you will gradually wean yourself off the "bad" stuff. You do need the book, but it's available at libraries so you dont have to spend the money. I've done it (unfortunately not lately), & it WORKS! If you follow the plan, you WILL feel so much better & lose the weight. If you read the book, like a lot of people, you will say: it just makes sense. She advocates eating fresh , natural, healthy, preferably organic foods, not loaded with salt, sugar & preservatives. She explains how these things are bad for you, how they work in your system & how her plan works to "right the wrongs".

There's a FF board on i-village & she has her own website (that is, the author, Anne Louise Gittleman). There's also a forun on her website where you can get your questions answered & get some info. Follow the links in the i-village CLs siggies to their website with more helpful info. There's a big support system for this plan with lots of ideas, recipes, info.

http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-fbfatflush?redirCnt=1

http://www.annlouise.com/alg_ffoverview.asp

http://www.annlouiseforum.com/forum/

LUDAM

CO-CL

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 9:47am

This really makes sense. We're all very different, and our bodies are different too. So what might work for me might not necessarily work for you and v.v.

Oh chocolate... well... chocolate is good medicine in my books!

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 1:26pm
hello gail. I know South Beach weans you of carbs and sugars for the first two weeks and then adds the complex healthy carbs back in and some fruits, etc. That is all I know.