North Star & Career Switches

iVillage Member
North Star & Career Switches
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 7:07am

Hi,

Has anyone here used _Finding Your Own North Star_ by Martha Beck to help them find their life focus and/or career? I'd be interested in hearing any likes or dislikes about it.

Also, does anyone have any suggestions for finding the career that best suits an individual? I am looking to switch careers completely and will probably need some education since what I do now has required pretty specialized education (read: I basically studied myself into a corner!).

Thanks and have a great day!

Sara

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 1:23pm
I am the wrong one to pop in here having not been very successful in the business world. However, when did that ever stop me? ;-}
Someone once gave me a very useful cd and I wish I could remember the name of it. (It could even have been Martha Beck. I don't remember.) It was 10-12 years ago. It talked of finding a job or career that you can enjoy. Enjoy getting up, going to and being there. A lot of reasons for absentiism, mood and other problems on the job is due to the fact you don't really want to be there, don't enjoy being at your job. Since so much time from your life is spent at work, this is wasted, disgarded time if you are not happy. Life is too short to waste a moment if you can avoid it. imho. I have spent way too many moments saying to myself, I don't want to go, I don't want to be here.
Although many people may need and desire more financial gratification, that is not the primary reason for deciding to leave a job. Although you may not wish to use this as a motivating factor, perhaps it could be part of your search.
iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 10:29am

I can't give you any input either. I know some people who have used a book called What Colour Is Your Parachute to help them assess what they were good at, what their passions are and what careers are suited for them. It's a book that is updated on a yearly basis, too.

Everytime I switched careers it was because my previous job had taken me there, even though sometimes one didn't have a lot to do with the other. I just followed my intuition, and did what felt right. It always had to be something I loved doing, otherwise I didn't feel that it was worth it, even if the overall package were extremely beneficial.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-19-2006 - 9:59am
Sara I have not seen Finding Your Own North Star so can't give input, sorry.

Judy

cl-ivhjude