Yoo hoo...

iVillage Member
Yoo hoo...
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 11:02am

I'm not going to be able to be on the boards today, but I am going to try very hard to come here tomorrow. I'll most probably be posting from the hospital heh heh heh...

Diana, to answer your question, I'm in Singapore right now for some check ups (mostly for SIL) and a short break.

It's 11 pm and I've got to tuck everyone to bed.

iVillage Member
In reply to: cl_libelulle
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 3:25pm
Singapore??!!! Really??!! WOW!! Hope everything is okay and the tests reveal what you you need to know for her to get better.
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 9:47am

Thank you, Aurora.

So far the doctors whom we've seen are happy with the progress that she's made, so I'm happy and I can breathe again. I hadn't worked with her in a long time and have felt a tad guilty about it, but since the good doctors are happy then I don't feel guilty anymore.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 10:11am

Ahhh... guilt. I know her well. What do you do with SIL? Reiki?? I saw a website today on that very subject recommending a book. It was actually an email from ivillage. I don't know too much about Reiki but remember seeing a story on one of the entertainment newsprograms eons ago. I tried it from what they said smoothing out the aura with my hands and felt calmer. Course it wasn't a trained or probably even proper version but it did seem to work. Tried it another time sometime later but nothing. Figured I forgot something. Anyway, it made me curious about all the energy fields buzzing around us of which I am ignorant.

You must be home by now. Was it a pleasant trip??

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 9:50am

I'm still away, which is why I haven't been here this week. I'll be back only on Monday, and hopefully will get caught up by Tuesday at the very latest.

What do I do with my SIL? Everything that full-time caregiving for someone who had a very bad stroke entails. Thankfully it's been a year since the injury, and she's made a lot of progress considering that she almost died, that she had 3 craniotomies in the space of one week and that it's been a very long road since then. Thankfully we now have a nurse to help with her day-to-day needs, which now frees me up to do other things with her, mostly activities to help with her cognitive abilities.

Reiki came into the picture early on. When SIL had her stroke, I emailed, called and texted all my friends to send prayers and positive energy. This, of course, included friends and acquaintances who practise reiki. When she was in hospital I would give her hands on reiki at least once a day when she was sleeping (when she was awake I wanted to interact with and stimulate her). When she came "home" (our temporary apartment), reiki was one way for her to calm down, relax and get her to sleep. It helped with her leg spasms. It's also a good thing that I'm good at giving massages lol. Sleep was a precious commodity, and for a few months we barely slept 2 hours at a time. So we used everything that we thought would help. We still use guided imagery CD's till now. The first time we played it, my SIL slept through the night, which was a first. You ought to have seen the happy dance I did that morning ;-)

iVillage Member
Thu, 06-29-2006 - 10:15am
(((((((((POPPY))))))) How generous you are. A lot of people could not give so much of themselves. She is very lucky to have you and. I am sure, you her. As are we!
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 12:10am

Aw, thanks for the hugs, Aurora. We are all very lucky to have each other. I'm very lucky to have the family that I do.

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-04-2006 - 10:30am
You know, besides it being family which involves a whole different set of criteria..feelings and lotsa love, I think so many rewards come from helping someone who needs you.. as opposed to those not desiring to help themselves. I found so much joy as I've mentioned before in helping people when I worked at a nursing home and other places. It seems they so appreciate your gift of service and yet you are not doing it or looking for praise or thanks. You are doing it because they need you or the service you are rendering. It truely wells up inside you and changes you.. the joy, the pleasure, the feel good feelings. And, I was doing it for pay!! I was not as selfless as you, Poppy. I had set hours and could choose not to put in extra hours. It takes a special person to give so completely of themselves. You need to know that. I feel you need to know that. Have a wonderful day!!
iVillage Member
Fri, 07-07-2006 - 9:40am

To be very honest, when I first volunteered to help I had NO idea what it would entail. My SIL and I weren't close. At best we were two people who would occasionally meet for lunch at my parents. We had nothing in common.

But my brother needed help, and his life and happiness as well as that of my nephew depended on her well-being. Though we aren't sibs who are close friends, we are sibs who can count on each other through good and bad which is most probably more important when there is a huge crisis. I had the time, my job would allow me to work from the city where SIL was hospitalized, so I went.

As you said, the return one gets is amazing. For one, my SIL and I got to know each other. I became close to my nephew. I got to realize a few things about myself, and got to know a whole group of amazing people. I also learned so many new things.

Right now, though, I have to relearn to be a tad more selfish again... I used to be so good at this!

Thanks, Aurora.