Fear - How to Cope?

iVillage Member
Fear - How to Cope?
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 2:19pm

Hello,

I'd love some input from you wonderful women on how to cope with fear.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

<

Pages

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 3:51pm

I'm asking for a lot, eh? :)

No, not so much. It is a good question. I believe anxiety and fear of the other shoe is familiar to most of us here. All of the relaxation techniques are good to practise. Yoga and some of the other similar regimens work on deep breathing and connecting with your inner spirit.. being. Meditation is another. I sometimes feel that awful dread myself and it has controlled me for far too long. I am sure other members will be able to fill you in on many more methods. Those are the two that slip into my mind. Perhaps when the time is right you can make a list of what makes you frightened; to try to understand where the feeling comes from; what it is about. Sometimes we don't know and that can be our starting point. I think when we confront and make them visible, they lose their power over us. To ask yourself, What is the worst that can happen and would it be so bad?? Our fears are often so much bigger than the reality. That last little tidbit I got from an inspirational speaker and psychologist. In the long run, you can see the logic though initially it seemed very laissez-faire to me. Just some ideas which popped into my head. If they work, great; if not, disgard. Good luck in your journey.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 8:34pm

Call your guardian angel,tell him/her that you
are afraid and ask them to wrap their wings
around you and to calm you.They respond very
quickly,and you will know they are near,b/c
you will feel a sense of peace.The other thing
to do is pray.The power of prayer is awesome.
I am prone to panic attacks,and these two things
have ALWAYS helped me.

iVillage Member
Mon, 06-26-2006 - 9:57pm

I just read a great quote on this:

Imagination, like fire, is a wonderful servant but a terrible master.

Carolyn Don't Count the Days Make the Days Count! By Sis
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 3:21am

Cat I think I understand what you are asking and it isn't too much but it is complex and there are no easy answers.

Judy

cl-ivhjude

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 9:51am

oh (((((((((JUDY))))))))
My heart goes out to you and your daughter. What an awful thing..memory. That must have been painful to bring up. And, how helpful for some of us that have similiar episodes in our past. We can learn so much from each other.

My story is a little different and my mother's reaction also. It scarred me so much but I didn't know. It was buried so deep within. I didn't know why I panicked and withdrew in situations. Pulled away. It has controlled and interrupted my life, my ability to grow. I think it arrested my development for much of my life. And, I didn't understand.

So thank you for sharing your story. We never know when what we say, what we have to say may help someone grow.

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 9:56am
Yes, I don't know how I overlooked that one, musher. I have spent many fear-laden nights lying in bed praying desperately for help, intervention and peace. This is an important one. Thank you so much for the reminder!!!
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 11:35am

Thank you for sharing that...it's such an overwhelming thing to comprehend. Your strength is a great lesson for all of us here. Huge hugs to you.

CC

iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 4:33pm

{{{{{{{{{{Judy}}}}}}}}}}

I'm so sorry for the devastating pain in you and your daughter's life.

Carolyn Don't Count the Days Make the Days Count! By Sis
iVillage Member
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 5:03pm

Yes,that was a great quote,thanks
for sharing.

Community Leader
Tue, 06-27-2006 - 9:30pm

Pages