elliptical eye-contact

iVillage Member
elliptical eye-contact
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 1:15am
where am i suposed to look throughout my 30 minute elliptical session? i usually look straigh ahead but people are working out so then i tend to zone out and then some friends come in and i don't even notice they're there and seem unfriendly. i may be overthinking this-but for those of you who don't...what do you usually do?
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 8:41am

Is there any way to prop a magazine up in front of you? We have TVs all around my gym, so we don't have that problem, thankfully. It would make me so self-conscious if I thought people were watching me exercise! Even if they were just zoned out in my direction.

Perhaps you and your friends could meet up and go to the gym together? If not, at least tell them how you zone out and don't notice anything around you. You don't want to lose friends over something silly like that.

Jeanette

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
iVillage Member
Tue, 07-24-2007 - 10:11am

Jeanette's idea of propping a magazine is a good one, as is the one about meeting up after or actually exercising together.

You can explain to your friends that if you don't notice them around you it's because you zone out. I am sure that they will more than understand - some will probably tell you they do the same.

I usually have my iPod, with the great big headphones to block out the gym's music, and listen to podcasts. And I'm probably making a terrible and unattractive face whilst elliptical-ing, too so friends might think that they are lucky I hadn't seen them ;-)

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

iVillage Member
Fri, 07-27-2007 - 1:02pm
Large-Print Books. That's what I do, and the time flies by! I only let myself read the large print while I'm working out (small print is too difficult due to all the movement) so I end up wanting to workout longer to get further in the book.