Sun, 07-29-2007 - 12:24pm

Have you ever been a caregiver?

• Yes
  • No
  • Other (please explain)

You will be able to change your vote.

iVillage Member
Sun, 07-29-2007 - 9:22pm

My DH and I took my sister into our house in 2001. She had lupus, renal failure, neuropathy, was on dialysis, and in 2004, she had a stroke 4 days after my youngest was born. She died in December 2004.

I would do it again in a heart beat.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow me to my partners in the siggie exchange

follow me to my favorite places on ivillage

Alcohol Problems Board

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2007 - 2:34pm

Two years ago our world tumbled out of its axis when my SIL collapsed after complaining that she had a tremendous headache. To cut a very long story short, she suffered from two burst aneurysms and had three craniotomies in the space of 7 days.

When my mother told me that her team of doctors had told my brother that he had to find another person to help him look after his wife, I volunteered. Whilst my mother had helped take care of my grandmother when she was ill with Alzheimer, I'd never seen for myself what taking care of a person who needs 24/7 caregiving entails. Like with everything in life, I just plunged in and learned on the spot.

I have enormous respect for those who make the decision to be a caregiver. It's physically and emotionally tough.

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 07-30-2007 - 2:35pm

You are an awesome person, Beth. Just in case no one told you that today. I don't know your husband, but I think that he must be awesome, too.

Hugs,

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 1:08pm

Poppy

If I hadn't been totally in love with the man before Geri became sick, I would have done so after she became ill. There was never a hesitation about bringing her home once she was well enough. There were no complaints about no vacations, no asides about another adult here. Three times a week he would leave the house after 9pm to drive and pick her up from dialysis. Don't get me wrong, he wasn't a saint. He was so exasperated some times, but he never once was anything less than kind.

Community Leader
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 1:09pm
Oops forgot to take off my hat!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow me to my partners in the siggie exchange

follow me to my favorite places on ivillage

Alcohol Problems Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 1:26pm

>> He was so exasperated some times, but he never once was anything less than kind.

If he was always kind, I think he does deserve to be called a saint. Or at least have his armour upgraded to a shiny one?!? There aren't many men like him or like my brother. Or my other brother, too, for that matter.

Don't worry about your hat. I like you with the hat!

iVillage Member
Tue, 07-31-2007 - 4:49pm

I voted "other" because my answer really is yes and no. My mother in law is a professional caregiver, and she has five elderly mentally challenged ladies that live with her and my father in law. We live on the same block, so we are there helping and caring for the ladies whenever we can. My fiance works for his mother part time, he keeps everything clean, and he takes the ladies to their appointments and all of their outings. When one of the ladies fell and broke her hip, we moved in for six months, and I remember being up in the middle of the night taking her to the bathroom and all that jazz. So have I actually cared for someone on my own in my home? No. But I believe I have the experience to do it if the need ever arises.

Sarah

My SignaturePhotobucket

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-01-2007 - 4:10am

Knowing what caregiving entails and having helped care for someone makes a huge difference, Sarah.

Caregiving need not be in one's own home. My mother split caregiving duties with her sibs when my grandmother was ill. There were also carers that they hired, too. She'd go to my uncle's house in the morning after we had left for school, and she'd come home in the afternoon. This arrangement lasted for a few years until my grandmother died.