Hand-crafted gifts

iVillage Member
Hand-crafted gifts
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 12:39pm
Do you give gifts that you've hand-crafted yourself?
Or do you give handmade gifts?
What kind of gifts have you made or given?
If you make your gifts, how long in advance do you have to start making them?
Where do you get your ideas or inspirations?
Where do you get your gifts?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

Pages

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 6:02pm

Not any more. Used to. Labors of love, I used to call them. They were usually NOT appreciated, in spite of all the hundreds of hours I put in to them. I would trim out bath towel sets, kitchen towels, tablecloths, pillowcases, etc. with intricate counted-cross stitch patterns. Useful things, in colors and styles that looked good with the lucky ones' decor. Not pictures to hang, etc. and things that would be considered a white elephant.

Everyone thought they were beautiful, don't get me wrong. But, it was like they could have purchased them just as easily.

I just give cash these days. It's ALWAYS appreciated and can NOT be purchased.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-02-2007 - 10:21pm

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 12:33am

It was difficult to chose an icon for this post.

How very thoughtful and giving of you to have made those useful yet unique gifts. You are right, they were labours of love. At the same time, how so very sad that the hours of work you poured into these gifts weren't appreciated at all. You've even made me feel a bit sorry for myself: I've been wanting to make some linen hand towels, but my embroidery skills are somewhat rusty. Had I a friend like you I'd have whispered in her ear what I'd like for my birthday!

I'm very bad with gift certificates. I misplace them. I lose them. I forget about the expiration date. I do like the Amazon and iTunes ones though as one can't ever read enough books or listen to enough music, but gift certificates can be so... generic. And easy. You can't tell whether that person cares enough or not.

Edited to add: I was re-reading your post and realized that you now give out *cash* and not gift certificates. And that this is more appreciated. What has the world gone to?

Edited 8/3/2007 12:36 am ET by cl-libelulle

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-03-2007 - 12:39am

Ooooooh... you make afghans? I'm so impressed, since I don't do needlework at all (long story involving middle school teacher lol).

What a tree skirt?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2007 - 11:08am

This is the one I made for us a couple of years ago - one of only two things I've made that we kept (they both were gifts for DH, actually

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2007 - 1:33pm

I love giving and receiving stuff like that.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-05-2007 - 8:50pm
Learning to quilt is somewhere on my to-do list...it probably would help to learn to sew first
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2007 - 10:16am

Hi Poppy! :-)

Do you give gifts that you've hand-crafted yourself? Nope!

usemap=

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2007 - 2:43pm
The last hand crafted gift was a painted diaper bag for my SIL.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow me to my partners in the siggie exchange

follow me to my favorite places on ivillage

Alcohol Problems Board

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-07-2007 - 12:41am

Or do you give handmade gifts? I love making them and giving them away.

What kind of gifts have you made or given? I make baskets with flowers, floral wreaths, candle holders, pillows with potpori, decorate glass jars.

If you make your gifts, how long in advance do you have to start making them? I make them all year long. With the Fall and Winter holidays, I start in June.

Where do you get your ideas or inspirations? TV, my kids, and magazines. I also go to craft stores like Michaels and Joanns

Where do you get your gifts? From Craft stores

Photobucket

Pages