Having to cut back a little

iVillage Member
Having to cut back a little
Sun, 08-05-2007 - 9:13pm

I hate it when I'm being pulled in so many directions at once

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2007 - 9:17am

Hmm... let's brainstorm a bit...

Paying off one's credit card is a good and important goal, because when all of that is paid off you actually have more money to work with, whereas now you are also paying the interest, which can amount to a lot if you let things go on and on. I think I'd prioritize this for the next year to 18 months - make a feasible plan, have a goal month and just put aside the money. And don't use that credit card at all even though it will be so tempting around Christmas time, unless it's a huge emergency (like a medical bill).

If you've got to make some sacrifices, then maybe have a smaller Christmas and spend less on gifts for this one year. I don't know how many people you gift to, but those who really care about you will bear you no ill will if you cut back for one year. Spending less on gifts doesn't necessarily translate into giving less wonderful gifts, either. It means setting a budget, being disciplines about meeting this goal, and being smart and creative about gift giving. See it as a positive challenge. There are so many gift ideas. What about bartering with those who also make gifts?

I've left the volunteering for last. Again, I think you have to set a budget and adhere to it. If postage is costly now, are there local organizations that would also appreciate your skills? Or would there be another way to get them to destination?

You know what the airlines always tell us when we're flying? In case of turbulence or emergency and the oxygen masks pop out, parents have to first put on their masks before helping their child(ren) to put on theirs. This goes for you financially. Once you've paid off your credit card, you'll have more money/psychological space to give for the causes that are dear for you. As great as volunteering is, if it becomes a burden to you in some ways, then something is not right.

Just my 2 cents and some ideas! Maybe other people have their ideas and thoughts that will help you:-)

Hugs, Jackie!

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-06-2007 - 1:08pm

>>Paying off one's credit card is a good and important goal...I think I'd prioritize this for the next year to 18 months - make a feasible plan, have a goal month and just put aside the money.

This is especially important to me 'cause we're planning to start looking to buy a house next year (after my car's paid off)

>>maybe have a smaller Christmas

After getting divorced, I've really "downsized".

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2007 - 4:54am

A house is a really good thing to buy. At one point, it just becomes smarter to pay a mortgage rather than rent money especially if it adds up to the same amount.

You're a *grandmother*?!? Aren't you even younger than I am? Or just about my age?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease
Anxiety, Panic and Phobias

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-08-2007 - 11:59am

Hard for me to answer that when I don't have a clue how old you are ;-)

(I just turned 40 in May)

~Jackie

"Be the change you wish to see in the world" ~ Mahatma Ghandi

Warming Families Volunteer,