When in need...

iVillage Member
When in need...
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 5:59am

Who do you turn to instinctively when you need emotional support?

Do you think that there's a difference in the support you receive from real life friends and the support you get from friends you've made online?

Are both kinds of support equally valuable to you?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Living with Hepatitis and Liver Disease

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-13-2007 - 10:04am

Great question!

It depends. For emotional support, I usually turn to my online friends. Because they don't know me personally, they are generally more open-minded. My family and friends (who are usually the cause of my emotional distress) all know each other for the most part. I don't feel free to discuss everything with them because it might get back to the wrong person. Also, they don't want to get into the middle of things.

All support is valuable, but support that doesn't cause more problems is the best.

Jeanette

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 1:03am

I turn to my best friend when in need of emotional support.

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 8:54am

Who do you turn to instinctively when you need emotional support?

----------------

Whoever is in the best position to offer what I need, based on the situation. I don't look to any one person, live or online, to fill all my needs. That would be a burden only a Higher Power could bear up under....

Spouse, parents, siblings, in-person friends, online friends--they all offer various levels and areas of support expertise.

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 11:35am

>> All support is valuable, but support that doesn't cause more problems is the best.

That's a very good point, Jeanette!

Something else about confiding to someone who knows the people involved is that the news might be somewhat distorted by the time it is heard by the wrong person and thereby making things even worse...

(I'm threadjacking my own thread here, but how's your son doing? I hope that his arm is healing well and that you were both able to have a nice summer!)

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 11:55am

How wonderful to have a best friend who has known you from way back when :-)

I am sending you positive vibes and lots of hugs to help you deal with the "stuff".

More hugs,

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 11:57am
Well said, Indexlady! I fully agree with you.

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 12:13pm
Thanks, need that right now!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2007 - 12:00pm

DS is healing nicely, thank you.

The bone that was wired looks almost straight. The little bone is still crooked, and may need to be broken and reset to give him a fuller range of motion. He can't twist his hand back and forth yet. The doctor wants to see him in two months to make that determination. Physical therapy is going well. Many of the exercises they have given him have proven to be too easy.

Jeanette

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 3:09pm

Instictively the first person I contact is my best friend. She lives a few hours away, but she's just a phone call away. Of course, second in line is my fiance, my other best friend. I also get a great deal of emotional support from my father. He lives on the other side of the world, so that's a little tough sometimes. I have also found that my boss of all people is an excellent support for me.

My online friends are precious to me. I met my best "online" friend here at ivillage on a stepmother board. I really hope to go to the US and meet her one day. As far as emotional support, there's nobody like the ivillage girls. Some of the boards are very helpful, and I really like the fact that people don't know me, so their opinions are very objective.

Yes, both kinds of support are extremely valuable, although I think that if i had to pick one of them to give up, it would be the online friends. I could never say that they are equal to the support and love I get from my family and best girlfriends.

Sarah

My SignaturePhotobucket