iVillage Member
Hi Poppy
Tue, 08-14-2007 - 9:04am
How are you?

Pages

iVillage Member
In reply to: ludam
Wed, 08-15-2007 - 7:22am

Ludam, my dear friend! ((((((((hugs))))))))

How so very sweet of you. I've really been missing bumping into you on the boards. It's been one of those "when it rains it pours" moment in life. First, I was ill. Then my computers (both of them) went kaput and needed to be taken in to the shop. Right now my mother's been in the hospital and I've been spending my evenings and nights (and mornings) with her. We're hoping that she will be able to go home latest at the beginning of next week.

How are you? Thank you so very much for your post. I know how busy you are, so this really touches me.

I hope you and your family are well.

I'm sending you huge hugs,

Please visit these other great message boards:
Dental Health & Cosmetics

iVillage Member
Wed, 08-15-2007 - 8:17am
What is up with your Mom?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 11:04am

My mother has breast cancer and had a partial mastectomy two Mondays ago. There have been some complications, which is why she hasn't been discharged yet, but otherwise she has been healing quite nicely. Which means that by now she is utterly b-o-r-e-d. I've introduced her to my iPod, a selection of World Music I listen to as well as an audio version of plays by Noel Coward, which make her laugh. She also listened to a guided imagery MP3, which she took like a duck to water (unsurprisingly). She woke up smiling ("I had such a nice walk!"), and her face looked less tired. I am seriously wondering whether I will ever see my iPod again ;-)

The good news in all of this is that the cancer was caught in the early stages, which is a miracle since a) my mother was very bad about getting mammos (as in, she hadn't ever had one despite reminders I'd give her on a yearly basis) and b) the growth was located deeper in the breast and a normal self-exam would have missed it. The surgeon she saw didn't like what he felt, though, and told her to get a mammo and an ultrasound pronto.

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 3:22pm
Loss of an iPod...small price to pay LOL!

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 9:17pm

LOL - yes! I now have to find my old iPod Shuffle, which is there somewhere in one of my purses.

Is that your little Magpie? She looks all so grown up with her long hair. BRE's also changed in that photo. Your girls are growing up fast!

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

Community Leader
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 10:14pm

YES that is Magpie. She can be so grown up. BRE is gorgeous and getting more so every day. Better still, both girls show empathy (obviously Magpie has only fits and spurts).Friends of ours just lost their beautiful little girl last night. The young lady was hydrocephalic and mildly developmentally delayed. Not once did BRE treat her with anything other than respect. They were friends, and, since the young lady had difficulties with impulse control, she would lash out angrily. BRE, though, never held things against her. So she is a beautiful in her soul as is her face.

wifemomteacher

proud to co-cl

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-18-2007 - 5:21pm

Poppy, I'm so sorry about your mother, but it's great they caught it early enough & she's healing well.

iVillage Member
Sun, 08-19-2007 - 6:00am

Thank you, Ludam.

Some people deliberately put it off and then genuinely forget. I have a cousin who is more like a sister, and her daughter had had two lumps removed from her breast a few years ago. Knowing how forgetful my cousin is, I asked her when was the last time she had a mammo and whether she wanted me to schedule an appointment for me at the same time I went for me. She blushed and said that she never had one... So I'm making sure that she comes with me that day!

Thank you so much for the healing vibes! My mother is doing well and jokes around a lot with the doctors and nurses. There are some complications having to do with her blood but the haemotologist is working on it. She had been prepared for a total or radical mastectomy, so a partial one was actually a relief. Before the operation we had also told her that if she had to have a total mastectomy, she ought to leave open the option of getting reconstructive surgery later on.

I don't know whether she has come to terms with the cancer or not. I think that will slowly come later on as she goes through post-operative treatments. For as long as I can remember, the fact that there is a high incidence of benign tumours and malignant cancer in the extended family on her father's side is something that she tends to deny and thus forget. The first few days were difficult and she was depressed but she seems to be doing better emotionally. It's something that I'm monitoring, though.

I'm getting better at taking care of myself this time round! There were a couple of times I asked someone to relieve me for the night as I was just too tired.

Hugs,

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-20-2007 - 8:53pm

Poppy,

Sorry to hear about your mother's poor health, though it is also inspiring to hear about how well she has been handlin this situation.

Have there been a history of cancer in your family? Just wondering, as a nurse, since that would mean you have to be extra vigilant in your own life with check ups and proper healthy living.

Just wanna tell you that I am sending you prayers and positive thoughts,

suffy

Photobucket 

iVillage Member
Tue, 08-21-2007 - 6:04am

I am so very sorry to read about your loss. I will be keeping your friends in my thoughts and prayers, as well as you and your family as this young lady was also your friend, too.

I don't know how parents cope with the loss of a child. ((((((((hugs))))))))

You have brought your daughters up very well, Beth, and I am sure that you and your husband have also been good role models, too.

Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

Pages