Choosing a book to read

iVillage Member
Choosing a book to read
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 12:19pm

The Man Booker Prize long list came out the other day (the Booker Prize is a literary prize for a full-length novel written in English by a citizen of the Commonwealth or the Republic of Ireland). This got me thinking how we choose the books we read.

Do you ask friends, the librarian, the bookseller to recommend you a book on a particular subject or genre?

Do you go see a Bestseller List and choose one from that?

Do you choose books nominated for a literary award of some kind?

Do you read book reviews to give you an idea of what to read and what to avoid?

Do you go to the "On Sale" section and see what appeals to you?

Are you part of a book club?

Please visit these other great message boards:
Walk Away the Pounds
Fitness and Health

iVillage Member
Fri, 08-17-2007 - 8:24pm

I'm part of several book clubs, but I don't order from them--I get the books at Amazon.com because they are cheaper. However, most of my books don't come from looking at the book club information.

I NEVER use any of the other aforementioned ways of deciding what to read. That's relying on other people's opinions, and I find that rarely works for me when it comes to reading materials. I guess I think and live differently--after all, I'm the indexer.

I'm not sure how I DO get my books--I think I just happen on them.

iVillage Member
Thu, 08-23-2007 - 11:55pm

My favorite topic - hooray!!!!!!

Do you ask friends, the librarian, the bookseller to recommend you a book on a particular subject or genre?

iVillage Member
Sat, 08-25-2007 - 1:37pm

I always look for new books by my favorite authors. Otherwise, I just browse until something catches my eye.

Jeanette

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.
iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2007 - 1:18am

When I'm not on a reading slump, I will read whatever is lying around!

Since my office is a dumping ground for a lot of review copies of mysteries/crime fiction, these usually come to my attention first, but occasionally I will be taken by the blurb on a cover of a book in the local grocery store book section, a synopsis of a book soon to be published in one of the two book catalogs I am on the mailing list for, or a review in "Analog & Science Fiction".

In teh past I have bought Booker winners, best sellers, etc. and have found I can't get very far into any of them.

Mainly, I read authors I know and series I know I can rely on to give a good read... usually in the mystery. science fiction or history/biography genres...

I do not belong to any book clubs

Co-CL for "The Stitcher's Niche" and "Remodel & Renovate" and CL for "Antiques and Collectibles"

Visit me at That Yank In...
and Traveling with That Yank

Avatar made with Portrait Illustrator Maker

Stitchery WIPs:"Neighborhood" RR, "Bath 5¢", "Walking to Town", a selection of San Man snow charts, "Millenium Sampler", 2 sets of curtain tie-backs using a DMC freebie chart and the new DMC linen threads, and a Kooler Design Studio chart called "Needlework Shop"

CL for "

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2007 - 11:54am

I generally just go to the library or bookstore and see what calls to me.

iVillage Member
Mon, 08-27-2007 - 4:23pm
Poppy, I typically don't enjoy reading for pleasure. I'm a fan of "directions" for crafts, how to projects, cooking, you name it. BUT I did have a friend from the village turn me on to a series of books written by Janet Evanovich. It's the Stephanie Plum series. Now there are several of us on the board reading them and we chat about them all the time. It's been fun!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

follow me to

my partner in the siggy exchange